"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Tuna fish ideas

I love tuna fish canned and fresh, but I only know of one way to use canned tuna fish. And thats with mayo and two pieces of bread which come together to form the wonderful tuna sandwich. Does anyone have any other quick and easy ideas for tuna fish?

Old 02-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You can mix a can of tuna.... a can of mushroom soup... a can of mushrooms ( sliced) and some cooked noodles together and then bake for 30 min. at 325 degrees or until it gets crusty on top. sometimes I add some diced onions too. You can add onions, celery and dill pickles to your recipe above and serve on lettuce or bread. You can make tuna patties and fry them up. Sorry, I don't have a recipe for that....

Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

Reese, I think you'll like these. You can also sub chopped ham for the tuna.

Bunwiches

2 cans tuna; drained, flaked
6 boiled eggs; peeled, chopped
1/2 lb Velveeta; cubed
1/4 cup sliced green olives
3/4 cup miracle whip
8 hamburger buns or hollowed out loaf of french bread.

Mix together first 4 ingredients. Add enough Miracle Whip to moisten well. Spread on hamburger buns. Wrap each bun individually with aluminum foil. Put on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
If using French bread, slice horizontally, and remove most of the inside, leaving 3/4" shell. Spoon filling in shell, cover loosely with foil, and proceed as above.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
You can mix a can of tuna.... a can of mushroom soup... a can of mushrooms ( sliced) and some cooked noodles together and then bake for 30 min. at 325 degrees or until it gets crusty on top.
Don't forget to put Velveeta on top...and I like to add a few peas, too.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Reese,
I love tuna as a sandwich, mixed with a variety of things, I'm not so fond of it hot. On fridays at least once a month, mom use to make the tuna casserole. That's the night I had a date or had grilled cheese But this is what she did.
She would use:
1 can (7oz.) drained and flaked tuna,
2-cups crushed potatoe chips
1-can, cream of mushroom soup
about 2 tab. of thin sliced green onion, both the green and the white
about 1-Tab. lemon juice
Mixed the tuna with the soup and chips; add in the onion and lemon. Turn into a greased casserole and bake at 375 about 45 min...She and dad and my sister just loved it...

kadesma
Old 02-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #6
Contest Winner

I posted this recipe last week for tuna w/ onion, tomato and basil. It's really simple and yummy.

Also, for a quick lunch, you can add in some teriyaki or black bean sauce to canned tuna and eat it with some salad greens tossed w/ a light ginger vinegrette.

Other ideas:
-mix it with herbed Boursin and spread on crackers
-mix in some mayonnaise, fresh dill, and some finely chopped pickle and fill celery hollows with it or use as a sandwich filling
-mix it with salsa and spread in a glass dish. Top with sour cream (light or fat free works okay) and then top with a layer of grated cheese. Broil until hot and bubbly and serve with corn, tortilla or pita chips.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Antipasta Tuna Salad

I only use canned solid pack albacore tuna in water. It is tastes much better than chunk or flaked regular tuna. You might like to try this salad. (Adjust any of the ingredients to your taste.)

ANTIPASTA TUNA SALAD
1 can tuna, well drained
1 jar marinated arichoke hearts, well drained
1 small jar roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
1 small can sliced olives, drained
5-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or quarters
4-5 leaves fresh basil, torn or 1/2 tsp. dried basil

Toss the above ingredients with your favorite Italian dressing ~ olive oil, lemon juice and/or vinegar, salt, pepper, favorite herbs. Serve on a bed of lettuce, if desired, with crusty Italian bread. Other veggies may be added as to your taste ~ diced cucumber, raw bell or hot peppers, etc. Try adding cubes of your favorite cheese, salami, or ham!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I add some peach preserves to my tuna salad, along with a touch of cayenne. Toss in some diced celery, halved grapes, minced shallots, and orange peppers and you have a great sandwich spread. I also like to use pineapple preserves, minced Canadian bacon, tuna, a touch of Dijon mustard and sweet onion. ; )
Old 02-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #9
Sous Chef

This is great guys, I have a huge 2000g tin of tuna and I have been wondering what to do with it. I friend working in a restaurant was given the tin when the new stock arrived and being single and not liking tuna, she gave it to me.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:53 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese5957
I love tuna fish canned and fresh, but I only know of one way to use canned tuna fish. And thats with mayo and two pieces of bread which come together to form the wonderful tuna sandwich. Does anyone have any other quick and easy ideas for tuna fish?
Try adding sweet corn into the tuna and mayo, you can use it either for sandwhiches, or filling for baked potatoes.

Tags
None