Italian Tuna Salad (looking for)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandyj

Sous Chef
Hi,
I have had a wonderful tuna salad at a local Italian restaurant, and the chef isn't giving up any secrets!

It's unlike tuna salad with mayo and celery (etc.) - this one seems to have finely sliced fresh basil in it, as well as a dressing that doesn't quite taste like mayo (olive oil and...?). It's quite delicious.

The restaurant serves it as a lunch dish - a generous scoop over a plate of lettuce. There are quarterd hard boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes, roasted red peppers and thinly sliced red onion on the plate, as well.

He also serves a side of dressing that tastes like balsamic vinegar emulsified with...? olive oil - I'm not sure, but this is really delicious, too.

I'd love to make this. Anyone have any ideas.

Sandy, it sounds like a variation of this recipe, substituting roasted peppers for anchovies and leaving out the green beans.

Tuna Nicoise
Dressing
small clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 tspn salt - the garlic and salt could be 1tspn garlic salt
few twists of black pepper
1/4 tspn sugar
1/2 tspn french mustard - or dijon
1 tspn lemon juice
1 tbspn white wine vinegar
3 tbspns olive oil
Salad
1lb (450g) French Beans (whole beans)topped and tailed
1 crispy lettuce - iceberg or similar
1 7oz (200g) can tuna fish, drained and flaked
6 hard boiled eggs - quartered
6 tomatoes - quartered
Garnish
1 2oz (50g) can anchovy fillets - drained
2oz (50g) black olives - stoned and halved

Cook the beans in boiling water until just tender - about 5 minutes - drain and refresh in cold water.

Take the dressing ingredients and mix together - I put it all in a jar with a lid and shake it to mix - be careful when you take the top off as it can sometimes froth over! Set to one side for the flavours to amalgamate whilst you assemble the salad.

Line a large bowl with lettuce leaves. Pile the tuna into the centre and arrange the beans around it.

Alternate egg and tomato quarters in a ring around the edge.

Criss cross anchovies over the tuna and arrange the olives in the grid.

Give the dressing a final shake and then pour over the salad evenly.

Serve straight away.

This recipe for seafood salad makes a delightful starter for 6 people or a light lunch for four - crusty bread or new potatoes will make it a meal.

Great idea..,

Hi, your Salad Nicoise sounds just lovely and I printed it out so that I can give it a go...my mom and daughters (and me & hubby) will enjoy this one. Thanks!

The tuna salad I had at that restaurant was quite plain - something you'd whip up in 5 minutes. I think it's meant to be something you could have on a sandwich.

Thanks,
Sandy

Sandyj said:
Hi,
I have had a wonderful tuna salad at a local Italian restaurant, and the chef isn't giving up any secrets!

It's unlike tuna salad with mayo and celery (etc.) - this one seems to have finely sliced fresh basil in it, as well as a dressing that doesn't quite taste like mayo (olive oil and...?). It's quite delicious.

The restaurant serves it as a lunch dish - a generous scoop over a plate of lettuce. There are quarterd hard boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes, roasted red peppers and thinly sliced red onion on the plate, as well.

He also serves a side of dressing that tastes like balsamic vinegar emulsified with...? olive oil - I'm not sure, but this is really delicious, too.

I'd love to make this. Anyone have any ideas.
Hi Sandy,
I don't have a recipe for you, but, I'd bet the chef is using either an imported Italian tuna or a tuna packed in oil..I wouldn't be surprised if he maybe used the oil from the tuna as well as some olive oil along with his balsamic...I love imported tuna and use it in my antipasto and for tuna sandwiches, and I do add basil and red onion to it as well as salt and pepper oil and vinegar..Hope this helps just a little:)
kadesma
Oh yes, this tuna is not the white albacore, it's like the dark meat, but it's so tasty, and to me not fishy:)

Just do it!

The only thing now is to experiment!
Thanks for your advice. I will try the tuna in oil - it seems reasonable that the oil would enhance the flavour - Sandyj

Back
Top Bottom