Kedgeree by Grumblebee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grumblebee

Contest Winner
I dont have exact measurements as I just kind of chucked things together. The basic recipe is this though:

Saute some onion in a knob of melted butter in a pot. Once translucent, add in a sprinkling of curry powder and turmeric and mix. Add in uncooked rice and stir to coat and to toast it slightly (about 2 minutes?). Then, add in enough water so it is 1cm above the level of rice. Put on a lid and boil hard for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the lid on and leave it on the burner. Let it sit for about 8-10 minutes so the liquid absorbs.

Once the rice has cooked, add in some flaked/chunked smoked haddock or smoked kippers. (smoked salmon or any other fish would do too, but it is traditionally made with haddock or kippers) Toss until combined.

Add in another knob of butter to get things delicious. Season with salt and pepper. Add some quartered hard boiled egg chunks and a chiffonade of watercress or parsley. :yum:

It is so delicious!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have exact measurements as I just kind of chucked things together. The basic recipe is this though:

Saute some onion in a knob of melted butter in a pot. Once translucent, add in a sprinkling of curry powder and turmeric and mix. Add in uncooked rice and stir to coat and to toast it slightly (about 2 minutes?). Then, add in enough water so it is 1cm above the level of rice. Put on a lid and boil hard for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the lid on and leave it on the burner. Let it sit for about 8-10 minutes so the liquid absorbs.

Once the rice has cooked, add in some flaked/chunked smoked haddock or smoked kippers. (smoked salmon or any other fish would do too, but it is traditionally made with haddock or kippers) Toss until combined.

Add in another knob of butter to get things delicious. Season with salt and pepper. Add some quartered hard boiled egg chunks and a chiffonade of watercress or parsley. :yum:

It is so delicious!

I can categorically agree that Kedgeree is delicious. (It used to be a traditional English breakfast item I understand - but it is lovely at any time of day - and definitely best with Haddock.)

Back
Top Bottom