Leftover Salmon ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that's a tricky subject. i agree that the "rule" about cheese and fish not being complimentary is ridiculous. there are certainly a number of exceptions that shoot down the rule.

but it is a difficult pairing.

as far as cooked salmon goes, salmon cakes or burgers comes to mind. the difference is how you serve them. :yum:

salmon with diced veggies (multicolour peppers, onions ory scallions, squash or eggplant, fennel, tomaroes, etc.) mixed into rice is nice.

how about a salmon dip (blend salmon with cream cheese or sour cream) served with pita wedges?

salmon chunks in a light onion broth, japanese style, is also good

I was thinking about a dip today. got a recipe or idea? My idea had tomato and cucumber anfd flaked the cucumber small. That was where I stopped thinking about it. Thinking again maybe sour cream,caramelized onions and the salmon with some other stuff.

I love left over salmon in salads! or w/ cooked or creamed spinach underneath a poached egg for breakfast.

Unrepetitious On Salmon

;) Buongiorno 4 Meandthem,

Firstly, I do not wish to be repetitious ...

I have thought of a two ideas, which can be children friendly ...

1st: Fried Salmon, as you would bread the fish; flour, egg, breadcrumbs and serve with a Hollandaise Dip and a Gorgonzola Dip ... this would entice them ...

2nd: You mentioned a Pizza using salmon: here is what I would try;
Salmon seared with leek or spring onion, cherry tomatoes, chive herb, cream cheese ( as the spreadable cheese on the dough base ), dill, slightly tender boiled potato, Capers washed of their brine, and pickle relish ...

Risotto or Pasta dishes: I had published a couple of pasta recipes in the Pasta Section using salmon ... One is with zucchini and tomato and the other vodka and smoked salmon ...

Hope this has assisted.

Have lovely wkend,
Ciao,
Margi. :)

My nephew made a really good salmon casserole that I liked. I'm sure it would work with already cooked salmon. I don't know what all was in it other than salmon and potatoes, but it reminded me of scalloped potatoes, so I think you could just play with the concept and find something you like. :cool:

It sounds really good. Could you ask him for the recipe, please? I often get canned salmon and am always looking for different ways to prepare it.

1.Toss into a pasta dish, like fettichini or pasta salad, or warm slightly and put on a roll with dill infused mayo for a sandwich.
2.Add it to potato chowder.
3.Make a Caesar salad and sprinkle it over the top.
4.Crackers with some cream cheese and have that for lunch with some fresh veggies.

If you're not pizza'd out, Wolfgang Puck has a great salmon (caviar) pizza, or a lemon salmon pizza w/ capers, dill & cream cheese.

A light Spring dinner idea...

Salmon and Asparagus Quiche
Add fresh dill, gruyere, monterey jack or parmesan cheese.

Serve with spinach, cherry tomato & red onion salad, and fresh strawberries for dessert. I like the way the asparagus is placed in a spoke pattern. Crustless quiche is good too.

Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Quiche Recipe from Betty Crocker

More ideas:

Salmon Rangoon

I like the combo of potato pancakes & salmon. Incorporate the salmon into cooked, mashed, cooled potatoes, & fry 'em up. Serve with a beet & goat cheese, & arugala salad.

I have a recipe for smoked salmon eclairs - salmon, cream cheese & ? (have to look it up) wrapped & baked in puff pastry. Will look through my recipes, if you're interested.

This recipe could be made with canned or Baked/cooked Salmon. It is a very nice as appitiser:

SALMON SALAD.

Ingredients:

Salmon, pink or red, canned (or cooked) 1-2 cans

Potatoes 2-3

Carrots 2-3

Green peas 1-2 cans

Beets 1-2 cans

Hard boiled eggs 3-4

Mayo 1 cup or so.

Little bit of water and or lemon juice to dissolve the mayo.

Salt (I do not use pepper, but it is up to you) to taste

A tip. It works the best when you have the same amount of each ingredient and double amount of salmon (separately)

- boil potato with skin on. Peel them after they cool off.
- peel and boil carrots
- hard boiled eggs.
- canned beets (or you can boil one yourself. I don't like to do it because it takes too long), but don't use the pickled kind, they have too much vinegar in them.

All of the above can be cooked day in advance and diced or even grated on the big hole grater.

-canned peas.

optional: you can use any vegetables you like i.e. onion or green onion, corn, pickles or cucumbers, some people even put apples.

-Pink or red salmon - 1 can

(Red tastes better but is more expensive, so I usually get one of each and mix it together). Fish comes with some bones. Make sure to discard them. Or you can simply bake filet of salmon for about 15 minutes and use then instead of canned stuff.
Mix it well with a fork. I’m a lazy person J and do not like to chew, so I try to mush all my food. After that, set the spread in the middle of the serving plate and pour the mayonnaise mixture over it. Make sure to cover fish completely, it looks better when served.

-mayonnaise should be dissolved (a little bit) with water and/or lemon juice. Do not add too much juice so as not to overpower the taste of the vegetables and fish. Mayo should be liquid enough to spread over salmon but not too liquid so it runs off.

Put all the prepared veggies in a scoop around the fish. Make it look pretty by putting them in order and somewhat color coordinated.

Serve like that. It looks very pretty. After everybody stop commenting how beautiful the dish is season and mix it well all together.

Looks beautiful before it was mixed and tastes good after it is mixed, though it doesn’t look that good anymore.

If you're not pizza'd out, Wolfgang Puck has a great salmon (caviar) pizza, or a lemon salmon pizza w/ capers, dill & cream cheese.

A light Spring dinner idea...

Salmon and Asparagus Quiche
Add fresh dill, gruyere, monterey jack or parmesan cheese.

Serve with spinach, cherry tomato & red onion salad, and fresh strawberries for dessert. I like the way the asparagus is placed in a spoke pattern. Crustless quiche is good too.

Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Quiche Recipe from Betty Crocker

More ideas:

Salmon Rangoon

I like the combo of potato pancakes & salmon. Incorporate the salmon into cooked, mashed, cooled potatoes, & fry 'em up. Serve with a beet & goat cheese, & arugala salad.

I have a recipe for smoked salmon eclairs - salmon, cream cheese & ? (have to look it up) wrapped & baked in puff pastry. Will look through my recipes, if you're interested.

The quiche is a great idea and so are the others. I would def be interested in the smoked salmon eclairs.

Salmon Chowder?

:chef: How about a Salmon Chowder, making it similar to either New England or Manhattan depending on your liking. I would add some dill and prehaps some lemon juice ( unless you have allready used lemon when cooking the salmon the first time.) Am not sure how I would do a pizza, it does sound good and also interesting too.

Debbie

I'm not sure about fresh, but with canned salmon, a capful of lemon juice makes the difference between blah and wow.

I like to make a white sauce and add some cream cheese and parm. Add the lemon juice to the drained salmon and add at the last minute just to heat through. Peas and diced roasted red pepper or pimento add some attractive color.

Last edited:
Caesar salad with salmon. I 've seen this on restaurant menus, but haven't ordered it.

Make your favorite salmon cakes and top with Tzatzki sauce. It's got dill and cucumber, which goes well with salmon. Stir in some lemon zest.

Back
Top Bottom