"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
Master Chef

This recipe could be made with canned or Baked/cooked Salmon. It is a very nice as appitiser:

SALMON SALAD.

Ingredients:

Salmon, pink or red, canned (or cooked) 1-2 cans

Potatoes 2-3

Carrots 2-3

Green peas 1-2 cans

Beets 1-2 cans

Hard boiled eggs 3-4

Mayo 1 cup or so.

Little bit of water and or lemon juice to dissolve the mayo.

Salt (I do not use pepper, but it is up to you) to taste

A tip. It works the best when you have the same amount of each ingredient and double amount of salmon (separately)

- boil potato with skin on. Peel them after they cool off.
- peel and boil carrots
- hard boiled eggs.
- canned beets (or you can boil one yourself. I don't like to do it because it takes too long), but don't use the pickled kind, they have too much vinegar in them.

All of the above can be cooked day in advance and diced or even grated on the big hole grater.

-canned peas.

optional: you can use any vegetables you like i.e. onion or green onion, corn, pickles or cucumbers, some people even put apples.

-Pink or red salmon - 1 can

(Red tastes better but is more expensive, so I usually get one of each and mix it together). Fish comes with some bones. Make sure to discard them. Or you can simply bake filet of salmon for about 15 minutes and use then instead of canned stuff.
Mix it well with a fork. I’m a lazy person J and do not like to chew, so I try to mush all my food. After that, set the spread in the middle of the serving plate and pour the mayonnaise mixture over it. Make sure to cover fish completely, it looks better when served.

-mayonnaise should be dissolved (a little bit) with water and/or lemon juice. Do not add too much juice so as not to overpower the taste of the vegetables and fish. Mayo should be liquid enough to spread over salmon but not too liquid so it runs off.

Put all the prepared veggies in a scoop around the fish. Make it look pretty by putting them in order and somewhat color coordinated.

Serve like that. It looks very pretty. After everybody stop commenting how beautiful the dish is season and mix it well all together.

Looks beautiful before it was mixed and tastes good after it is mixed, though it doesn’t look that good anymore.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
If you're not pizza'd out, Wolfgang Puck has a great salmon (caviar) pizza, or a lemon salmon pizza w/ capers, dill & cream cheese.

A light Spring dinner idea...

Salmon and Asparagus Quiche
Add fresh dill, gruyere, monterey jack or parmesan cheese.

Serve with spinach, cherry tomato & red onion salad, and fresh strawberries for dessert. I like the way the asparagus is placed in a spoke pattern. Crustless quiche is good too.

Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Quiche Recipe from Betty Crocker

More ideas:

Salmon Rangoon

I like the combo of potato pancakes & salmon. Incorporate the salmon into cooked, mashed, cooled potatoes, & fry 'em up. Serve with a beet & goat cheese, & arugala salad.

I have a recipe for smoked salmon eclairs - salmon, cream cheese & ? (have to look it up) wrapped & baked in puff pastry. Will look through my recipes, if you're interested.
The quiche is a great idea and so are the others. I would def be interested in the smoked salmon eclairs.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Salmon Chowder?

How about a Salmon Chowder, making it similar to either New England or Manhattan depending on your liking. I would add some dill and prehaps some lemon juice ( unless you have allready used lemon when cooking the salmon the first time.) Am not sure how I would do a pizza, it does sound good and also interesting too.

Debbie
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm not sure about fresh, but with canned salmon, a capful of lemon juice makes the difference between blah and wow.

I like to make a white sauce and add some cream cheese and parm. Add the lemon juice to the drained salmon and add at the last minute just to heat through. Peas and diced roasted red pepper or pimento add some attractive color.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Caesar salad with salmon. I 've seen this on restaurant menus, but haven't ordered it.

Make your favorite salmon cakes and top with Tzatzki sauce. It's got dill and cucumber, which goes well with salmon. Stir in some lemon zest.

Tags
salmon