Leftover Salmon ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
We have been eating Salmon a couple of times a week lately. I could use some fresh ideas on what to use already cooked or leftover salmon in. I have been cooking it in the oven with simple seasonings instead of grilling it.

I already have enough pasta ideas and fish tacos are covered. Fish patties are also my list. A pizza idea would be welcomed.

What ideas can you come up with.

Same as with tuna, mix the salmon with mayonnaise, relish, maybe a bit of horseradish, squeeze of lemon juice, mix it up good and serve it on a sandwich. In fact it makes much better sandwiches than tuna IMO.

If I were going to do a salmon pizza......I think I would start with a creamy dill sauce, add some capers, fresh grape or cherry tomato halves and rings of red onion and small chunks of the salmon. I'm not sure what I would do about cheese, some folks don't think cheese goes well with fish. But maybe some feta....or if the thought of cheese and fish doesn't bother you, then traditional pizza cheese. Whatcha think?

We eat a lot of salmon, too. A few ideas:

• Fried salmon cakes
  • Salmon hash
  • Salmon and noodles tossed in Alfredo sauce and baked
  • Salmon and asparagus over a toasted English muffin w/ Hollandaise

Last edited:
IMO fish and cheese go together well except for people who don't like one or the other.

that's a tricky subject. i agree that the "rule" about cheese and fish not being complimentary is ridiculous. there are certainly a number of exceptions that shoot down the rule.

but it is a difficult pairing.

as far as cooked salmon goes, salmon cakes or burgers comes to mind. the difference is how you serve them. :yum:

salmon with diced veggies (multicolour peppers, onions ory scallions, squash or eggplant, fennel, tomaroes, etc.) mixed into rice is nice.

how about a salmon dip (blend salmon with cream cheese or sour cream) served with pita wedges?

salmon chunks in a light onion broth, japanese style, is also good

Last edited:
salmon with diced veggies (multicolour peppers, onions ory scallions, squash or eggplant, fennel, tomaroes, etc.) mixed into rice is nice.

how about a salmon dip (blend salmon with cream cheese or sour cream) served with pita wedges?

++ on both ideas.

Asians always mix their used refrigerator contents into fried rice recipes, including the fried rice itself, which is yesterday's steamed rice reheated and fried in a wok, and then clean out your refrigerator to fancy it up.

Most people probably think fried rice is a recipe you cook from scratch. Not so. It's the Asian way of using leftover ingredients.

The dip sounds great! I'd cook salmon just to create the dip.

My nephew made a really good salmon casserole that I liked. I'm sure it would work with already cooked salmon. I don't know what all was in it other than salmon and potatoes, but it reminded me of scalloped potatoes, so I think you could just play with the concept and find something you like. :cool:

++ on both ideas.

Asians always mix their used refrigerator contents into fried rice recipes, including the fried rice itself, which is yesterday's steamed rice reheated and fried in a wok, and then clean out your refrigerator to fancy it up.

Most people probably think fried rice is a recipe you cook from scratch. Not so. It's the Asian way of using leftover ingredients.

The dip sounds great! I'd cook salmon just to create the dip.

i wasn't initially thinking fried rice; more of a biryani with basmati, but fried sound great as well. especially with bits of frizzled salmon skin! yum.

Mock/Faux Sushi

Flour tortillas spread w/ cream cheese & chives
Salmon
Avocado or cucumber
Cooked & cooled rice w/ lime zest

canned salmon sushi - Bing Images

Salmon (& hashbrown) chowder

Have you worked with rice paper?
You could stuff & roll it with salmon, avocado & whatever you like

Salmon mousse on thin slices of cucumber with dill.

You mentioned no tacos, but maybe you migh like this idea

Salmon tacos with avocado/mango salsa, or sour cream/horseradish/dill sauce

Salmon "Martini"
BHG's Newest Recipes:Salmon "Martini" Recipe

Pan Bagnet (Nicoise salad sandwich)

Salmon/avocado cakes
Avocado stuffed crab cakes

Salmon croquettes

Mock/Faux Sushi

Flour tortillas spread w/ cream cheese & chives
Salmon
Avocado or cucumber
Cooked & cooled rice w/ lime zest

canned salmon sushi - Bing Images

Salmon (& hashbrown) chowder

Have you worked with rice paper?
You could stuff & roll it with salmon, avocado & whatever you like

Salmon mousse on thin slices of cucumber with dill.

You mentioned no tacos, but maybe you migh like this idea

Salmon tacos with avocado/mango salsa, or sour cream/horseradish/dill sauce

Salmon "Martini"
BHG's Newest Recipes:Salmon "Martini" Recipe

Pan Bagnet (Nicoise salad sandwich)

Salmon/avocado cakes
Avocado stuffed crab cakes

Salmon croquettes

I made some "California Roll" wraps with smoked salmon for my last picnic.
I will do again with leftover baked salmon and leftover quinoa for for the rice. A little carrot,avacado,cucumber and sesame seeds and I am there. I also made a sauce with soy,splenda,mayo and srihacha that put inside.

The other ideas are great too. The salmon and hashbrown chowder sounds interesting. Got a recipe?

Last edited:
My nephew made a really good salmon casserole that I liked. I'm sure it would work with already cooked salmon. I don't know what all was in it other than salmon and potatoes, but it reminded me of scalloped potatoes, so I think you could just play with the concept and find something you like. :cool:

That might make a great breakfast dish. Salmon,o'brien potatoes and maybe some green chili's with egg and cheese.

If I were going to do a salmon pizza......I think I would start with a creamy dill sauce, add some capers, fresh grape or cherry tomato halves and rings of red onion and small chunks of the salmon. I'm not sure what I would do about cheese, some folks don't think cheese goes well with fish. But maybe some feta....or if the thought of cheese and fish doesn't bother you, then traditional pizza cheese. Whatcha think?

Better than what I was thinking!

We eat a lot of salmon, too. A few ideas:

• Fried salmon cakes
  • Salmon hash
  • Salmon and noodles tossed in Alfredo sauce and baked
  • Salmon and asparagus over a toasted English muffin w/ Hollandaise
I am with Greg on the last one! DAMN! That sounds good. I would cook the salmon just to do that. Champagne and a mini caviar cheesecake to go with. Probably just ate two days worth of calories right there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom