"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
Senior Cook

Yes, Simon. When I lived in Canada, one of my neighbors was from India. She told me that curry is really a mix of spices: (curry recipe - basic curry sauce) Some mixes are very hot, others mild, and there are very nice ones. Also try CHUTNEY, made mostly with mango or other fruits, vinegar, sugar, and other things. It "livens up" many things.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belucile View Post
Yes, Simon. When I lived in Canada, one of my neighbors was from India. She told me that curry is really a mix of spices: (curry recipe - basic curry sauce) Some mixes are very hot, others mild, and there are very nice ones. Also try CHUTNEY, made mostly with mango or other fruits, vinegar, sugar, and other things. It "livens up" many things.
Thank you for the info.......it's a great referral page

Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Curry covers a multitude of tastes and cultures. Saying you are having "curry for dinner" is like saying you are having "salad for dinner". It may be accurate, but isn't terribly informative.

Here is a Thai curry that we like a lot and that you might try at the shop.
Choo Chee Shrimp
For the gaeng kua paste:
3 large dried red chili peppers
10 small dried red chili peppers
1/2 cup shallots or onion, roughly chopped
1/4 cup garlic cloves
1 tbsp ginger root (galanga is better, but hard to find here)
1/2 tsp salt
Tear up the chilies and soak in hot water till softened. Put the chilies and the remaining ingredients in a blender, with enough of the soaking liquid to let the mix blend.

Heat a can of coconut milk till it begins to thicken and separate out some of the oil - but no worries, just get it good and hot so the paste dissolves well. Add 1/4 C of the gaeng kua paste from the blender and cook for a minute or two, then add about 1 T each of fish sauce and dark brown sugar (or molasses or palm sugar). Cook together until the flavors are nicely blended. Add more of any of the ingredient to get the balance you want. When you like it, toss in about a pound of shrimp and a quarter cup of fresh basil leaves (horapah is best, but any will do). As soon as the shrimp are done, remove from heat. Serve over rice garnished with another quarter cup of the basil and lime wedges. You can take the sauce right up to the point of adding the shrimp and stash it away for a day or a few days, so you don't have to commit your protein, if it doesn't sell well.

You will have more gaeng kua paste than you need, but this is a convenient amount to make and it freezes well. You can also add cumin and coriander to it to get a more commonly known Thai red curry paste: gaeng peht.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

That recipie sounds wonderfull.....pretty spicey. It would make a good friday special. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #45
Senior Cook

It is spicy. You might want to make up the sauce with just a tablespoon of the paste and make a separate super hot sauce by cooking a good deal of the paste with a little coconut milk. You can mix in the concentrated one with the milder one according to how hot your customer wants his curry.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #46
Head Chef

How about seafood crepes? Crepes are cheap and easy to make. The filling can be rice or mash potatoes. Roll them up and top with seafood bechamel sauce. I like scallops and shrimp. Bay scallops are reasonably economical and of course you only need maybe three or four ounces of seafood per portion.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
How about seafood crepes? Crepes are cheap and easy to make. The filling can be rice or mash potatoes. Roll them up and top with seafood bechamel sauce. I like scallops and shrimp. Bay scallops are reasonably economical and of course you only need maybe three or four ounces of seafood per portion.
Great idea to fill the crepes with rice or mashed potatoes then the seaqfood in the sauce. I've done sefood crepes before but the filling was always a blend of seafood in a thick white sauce the I draped them with bernaise sauce. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

did anyone mention mussels yet? they're about the cheapest shellfish you can get around here, about 4 or 5 dollars for a mesh bag containing 2 dozen or more. they're super easy to cook and are ready to serve in minutes.

you can make them marinara, fra diavolo, or in a white wine and herb broth.

i can come up with specific recipes if anyone's interested.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
did anyone mention mussels yet? they're about the cheapest shellfish you can get around here, about 4 or 5 dollars for a mesh bag containing 2 dozen or more. they're super easy to cook and are ready to serve in minutes.

you can make them marinara, fra diavolo, or in a white wine and herb broth.

i can come up with specific recipes if anyone's interested.
Availability to mussels are not very good here. when they are available they are usually around $8./lb. or more. We are to far from the coast up here in the midwest. Thanks for thinking of me though.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, then how about goin' south of the border for enchiladas veracruz? or huachinango al mojo de ajo?

they both rely on a white garlic cream sauce. the enchiladas are thin soft tortillas filled with crabmeat (you can use imitation) and queso, and the mojo de ajo ladeled over top. or you can use a thin salsa to offer a bit of varieyy.

the huachinango is actually red snapper but you could use tilapia, simply grilled, again with the garlic cream sauce over top, garnished with cilantro.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
seafood