"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Happy Aniv Kay.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
Master Chef

Glad it was great! As often happens, I didn't find this until you'd already had the meal! But I, too agree .... boil or steam, melted butter (don't know why you clarify in this case). Red or Yukon Gold Potatoes, Corn on the cob.

I don't know why those rolls aren't more available. Somewhere I lived I could buy un-split hot dog buns, then would split them vertically. Close. But I actually prefer them for hot dogs and sausages.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the reason some people clarify the butter is so it doesn't burn/brown sitting on the butter warmer as easily. I used to have a different set of warmers and used to clarify the butter back then. If I didn't it would come to a boil too quickly and I'd end up blowing the flame out so it didn't brown, then relighting it ten minutes later. Clarifying raises the smoke point (I'm sure you know). I've got ceramic warmers now and don't have that problem. Either that or I am eating/dunking more quickly
Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I found some Sara Lee French Rolls which would make a lovely bun for a lobster roll. A good place to look for these and other nice sandwich rolls, is at the foot of the deli counter.

They're like a hoagie roll 7-1/2" long. Now if I only had some lobster *sob*.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
Master Chef

Just got back from the store on a "roll hunt" for the lobster rolls. TAT.....Pep. Farm had everything there but "New England style rolls".....I'm thinking we are just too far west of New England to have a call for them here. I did find some nice hogie kind of rolls by Kings Hawaiian bread company that should work well. Yes, I'll slather on the butter and grill them first Dawg. I'm also going to make some clam chowder to go with the lobster rolls and decided to save it all for dinner tonight instead of lunch. Thanks again for all the nice wishes for our anniversary...we sure have fun together and these two dinners have made for priceless memories. Wouldn't trade this for the fanciest expensvive dinner in the finest restaurant.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I imagine you searching for those buns must have been like me trying to find a tamale steamer a couple years ago.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I imagine you searching for those buns must have been like me trying to find a tamale steamer a couple years ago.
That's about right, Pac. By the way, I knew we had a discussion about these rolls before, and I found it.

What's a New England Hot Dog?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Lol! I had a friend who did just that, he and a buddy bought a couple at a restaurant, said they would take them "to go", then put them on a string, and walked them down the street!
I once brought home 12 live New Brunswick lobsters. We had races with them in a very long corridor The cats were quite entertained, but were cautious enough not to get nipped.

Glad to hear you had a great anniversary.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
did you get any roe?
we can get them for under $9/lb. all year long, $5 /lb. on sale seasonally.
I hope they didn't get any with roe. That would make them illegal. By law have to be tossed back. Our everyday winter price is $4.99 a pound. Summer lobsters are cheaper. My husband was a commercial fisherman and would bring home what they consider trash catch of lobster all the time. One time I let 16 of them die in the crisper. Forgot all about them. I have had my fill of lobster over the years. Give me a nice freshly caught Haddock any day. And for those New England style rolls, take a slice of white bread, fold it from top to bottom. Toast the sides. Voila! There you have it.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Ouch, I bet that was ripe, Addie.

Tags
None