"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Ouch, I bet that was ripe, Addie.
So true. The stink alerted the neighbors to what I had done. Fortunately for me, there were no railroad tracks nearby or I would have been on them.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would always bring in lobsters. The kids hated them. And I got sick of them real quick. He thought he was bringing home a treat. Little did he realize that during WWII we ate a lot of lobster as meat was rationed. And after a storm we would go down to the waterfront and pick them up off the beach. And dig up clams of all sizes. Including razor clams. Living only a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean all seafood was plentiful. I still love seafood, but sometime need a rest from certain ones for a while. Lobsters are still on that list.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

addie, that's interesting about the roe.

we often get small 1 to 1 1/4 's with a pink eeggsack in the upper part of the tail towards the carapace ( or would that be thorax)?

is it legal any time of the year?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

No. They are the future of the lobster industry and by international law must be thrown back into the sea. Also there is a limit on the length of a lobster. I think it is five inches. To take illegal lobsters and getting caught means having the lobsters taken away and receiving in their place a hefty fine for each lobster. The lobster folks here would report in a heartbeat anyone taking illegal lobsters. They know that it is their future that is being taken from the sea. That sack of eggs mean that about 12 or more lobsters were lost to the industry. Most lobster men will only harvest male lobsters if their catch is a good one for the day.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would always bring in lobsters. The kids hated them. And I got sick of them real quick. He thought he was bringing home a treat. Little did he realize that during WWII we ate a lot of lobster as meat was rationed. And after a storm we would go down to the waterfront and pick them up off the beach. And dig up clams of all sizes. Including razor clams. Living only a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean all seafood was plentiful. I still love seafood, but sometime need a rest from certain ones for a while. Lobsters are still on that list.
This brought back memories of the late 50s, we would all drive to the Lleyn peninsula after a storm to rock pool, my mum found the first lobster I ever ate, my dad and big brother would go out mackerel spinning, my kid brother drop line for crabs.My mum and I would search the pools.Life was family without televisions and computers in the bedroom.

Ps Addie some of my wifes family fish commercially in Croatia.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

i understand how eggs work, addie, lol. and laws too.

it just seems odd how often we get females, especially ones with roe. i mean, i buy them from various supermarkets and fish mongers in the nyc metro area. not out of the back of a truck or a guy with a suitcase on a corner somewhere.

speaking of suitcases, however, i can get you a deal on a rolax watch, or a lois vuitton handbag...

Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would always bring in lobsters. The kids hated them. And I got sick of them real quick.
What!? I'd kill a human being for a lobster! It's really because it's expensive and rare around these parts. However, I can understand that the same thing everyday is annoying.

Now what did I learn on TV about lobsters? The pincers are the softest part and to remove them, you have to slam you knife into it and slide the meat out or something. I don't know. Never had a lobster before.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hope you get to try it! The meat is so sweet, like a cross between shrimp and crab, but with a lovely flavor all its own.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i understand how eggs work, addie, lol. and laws too.

it just seems odd how often we get females, especially ones with roe. i mean, i buy them from various supermarkets and fish mongers in the nyc metro area. not out of the back of a truck or a guy with a suitcase on a corner somewhere.

speaking of suitcases, however, i can get you a deal on a rolax watch, or a lois vuitton handbag...
Can you get me a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport on the cheap???
Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

there's a delivery of borgatti vayrons coming in next week. just as good...

Tags
None