Live Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I put this in tonights dinner thread, but thought I'd include it here too. :chef:

Today is our 4th wedding anniversary so we're having a special dinner.
When we were in New England a few weeks ago we fell in love with northeast lobster so we ordered a couple of 3 pounders to be delivered live to us this morning by way of FedX. All that's left now is the killin' and the eaten'.......:mellow::devilish: All tips from lobster experts welcomed!!
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.
img_1067410_1_a32bea1a16a35023f5712c993ee3fcf0.jpg

Where did you get them from? I use Main Lobster Direct when I'm in the mood, or for surprise presents.
Live lobster is cool and a nice treat, but my heart will always be with the tails.

Kayelle said:
I put this in tonights dinner thread, but thought I'd include it here too. :chef:

Today is our 4th wedding anniversary so we're having a special dinner.
When we were in New England a few weeks ago we fell in love with northeast lobster so we ordered a couple of 3 pounders to be delivered live to us this morning by way of FedX. All that's left now is the killin' and the eaten'.......:mellow::devilish: All tips from lobster experts welcomed!!
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

Happy anniversary, Kayelle!!!

What a wonderful dinner! 6 pounds of lobster, I'm hyperventilating...

pacanis said:
mmmm, they've got all kinds of goodies there.

Yes indeed. I used to order gifts for folks from a similar company, always much beloved!

Congrats!

I have no advice for you.

I enjoy lobster rolls and lobster stew.

I'm afraid if someone gave me a live lobster I would probably name it and end up with a new pet.

Aunt Bea said:
Congrats!

I have no advice for you.

I enjoy lobster rolls and lobster stew.

I'm afraid if someone gave me a live lobster I would probably name it and end up with a new pet.

Lol! I had a friend who did just that, he and a buddy bought a couple at a restaurant, said they would take them "to go", then put them on a string, and walked them down the street!

Happy Anniversary!

Keep it simple. Steam or boil them. No need to do anything else. Clarified butter is a usual item to serve for dipping, but I much prefer regular melted butter, not clarified.

Thanks so much for the nice wishes everyone!!:)

The lobsters turned out great... steamed them in a big pot for 25 minutes. We ate the tails with drawn butter, along with steamed jasmine rice and Haricot Vert with bacon and onion.
We have enough meat left from the bodies and claws to make two Lobster Rolls for lunch tomorrow. I wish we could buy those special rolls here, but we'll have to make do with hot dog buns.

Kayelle said:
Thanks so much for the nice wishes everyone!!:)

The lobsters turned out great... steamed them in a big pot for 25 minutes. We ate the tails with drawn butter, along with steamed jasmine rice and Haricot Vert with bacon and onion.
We have enough meat left from the bodies and claws to make two Lobster Rolls for lunch tomorrow. I wish we could buy those special rolls here, but we'll have to make do with hot dog buns.

Dang, Kayelle. Lobster and astroturf would be good! Hot dog buns will be great! Are you going to smear the buns with lots of butter and toast them? Please say yes! (living vicariously).

The legs might not seem like the effort of working with, but if you detach all those lil guys from the body, and roll with a rolling pin)or a bottle of wine, just something that rolls)from the "toes" up, all the meat will come right on out the top. It adds up quick, and is just another way to get more bang for the buck.

****ALSO**** Pepridge farm makes a split top, "New England" style hot dog roll, available in most regular grocery stores. Not hard to find.

Last edited:
happy anniversary, k-l and mr. l. :)
did you get any roe? did you eat the tomalley? i often save the roe and the leglet meat to make mashed potatoes, and when i can i use the water the lobsters were boiled in to boil the potatoes. i'm not a big fan of the tomalley, though.

there is no comparison to real maine lobster. it's something about the water.
i totally agree with gb. the only way to go is simply steamed or boiled, served with melted butter and some crusty bread for sopping up any liquor that spills out.

i never realized how common it is for people to mail order the little monsters. i just saw a lobster special on qvc that had 6 six ounce tails, and 2 lbs. of king crab legs for something like $275. that sounds crazy. we can get them for under $9/lb. all year long, $5 /lb. on sale seasonally.

buckytom said:
happy anniversary, k-l and mr. l. :)
did you get any roe? did you eat the tomalley? i often save the roe and the leglet meat to make mashed potatoes, and when i can i use the water the lobsters were boiled in to boil the potatoes. i'm not a big fan of the tomalley, though.

there is no comparison to real maine lobster. it's something about the water.
i totally agree with gb. the only way to go is simply steamed or boiled, served with melted butter and some crusty bread for sopping up any liquor that spills out.

i never realized how common it is for people to mail order the little monsters. i just saw a lobster special on qvc that had 6 six ounce tails, and 2 lbs. of king crab legs for something like $275. that sounds crazy. we can get them for under $9/lb. all year long, $5 /lb. on sale seasonally.

Oh, just cut it out, BT. Jealous.

But can you get walleye? Huh? Huh?

actually, i can. my neighbor is a big fresh water fisherman. he heads out to the great lakes a few times a year for fish like salmon, walleye, and northern pike. he often brings us back fish in return for watching his house while he's gone.

i was listening to a business news radio program a while ago, and they mentioned that lobsters have gotten so plentiful that the price is being artificially supported so they don't lose their appeal as an expensive treat. i guess that's part of why they have become an affordable enough food to be able to ship for a profit.

buckytom said:
actually, i can. my neighbor is a big fresh water fisherman. he heads out to the great lakes a few times a year for fish like salmon, walleye, and northern pike. he often brings us back fish in return for watching his house while he's gone.

i was listening to a business news radio program a while ago, and they mentioned that lobsters have gotten so plentiful that the price is being artificially supported so they don't lose their appeal as an expensive treat. i guess that's part of why they have become an affordable enough food to be able to ship for a profit.

I will offer to watch your neighbor's house for fish. Please set up the cameras.

Interesting about the lobsters, BT. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom