"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Maine lobsters molt in the warm weather months. They outgrow their shells (hard shell lobsters at this point), cast them off and grow a new bigger shell to grow into (soft shelled lobsters).

Thanks for all that Andy.

Do you still have to deshell with the softshells?

We get soft shell crab round here and they dress them but removing the face then pulling the gills and entrails out. You then cook and consume them (shell and all) and they are some fine eating.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

You still have to remove the shell but you can often do it without tools. The shells are thin enough that I can break them apart with just my fingers.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks.

We were out one night with some friends and had a walk down the water front. On the rocks were hundreds of soft shell crabs. Once they molt they are soft for 3-4 days and are defenseless as they can't move. I just wish I had had a bucket, though that area it is illegal to take crabs and since it is highly public I likely would have ended up in the pokey, so likely a good thing I didn't have the bucket.

Some people take crabs as they are molting, called peelers, and use them for fishing.

Ok.. back to the lobster now. I think it is getting close to time to order some delivered again.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Costco lobster is now coming from Brazil. It is anybodies guess where they are getting 10 oz whole lobsters, but I don't think they would not have a lot of meat.
I work on breathing gas systems. I'm also an avid underwater hunter that believes in proper fisheries management.

I was working on a clients compressors in Kingston, Jamaica back in the early '90's. This company harvested conch and lobster for export. At that time, they were already working 40 miles off their coast because they had wiped out everything closer to the point of nolonger being profitable. Most of their lobster harvest was cooked on site, frozen and sent to Japan. They had a few local independants that still fished the close to shore areas. They would buy these folks catch for a pittance. I was working close to the area where they cooked the lobster before it went into the freezer. I watched in horror as they started dropping the local "catch" into the pot. Everything went in, 2"-3" (bodys) lobster and females with eggs. Our legal size in Florida requires a minimum 3" carapice! Jamaica, at that time, had no fisheries management. They probably still don't. Haiti is the same way.

Now we are seeing a greater influx from South America as the Caribbean countries are seeing their "catch" dwindle. The Bahamas, have probably created their fisheries management in time to avoid total disaster, but they are dealing with a major invasive species from the Indian ocean (pet trade), which we are beginning to see in our waters. Mexico, maybe. The Caymans are in good shape. Cuba has a great fisheries management system. Too bad we have to "cater" to a small population of exiles, so Cuba is off limits for imports.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox now!

Craig
Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Costco lobster is now coming from Brazil. It is anybodies guess where they are getting 10 oz whole lobsters, but I don't think they would not have a lot of meat.

The lobsters I see at Costco are spiny lobsters, not Maine lobsters. Just tail, no claws.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The lobsters I see at Costco are spiny lobsters, not Maine lobsters. Just tail, no claws.
I think that has to be the case. I can't imagine a cold water lobster from Brazil. I hadn't noticed the Brazil label until recently at Costco. Didn't buy them.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I've never seen a whole spiny out here. They have all been cold/main look'n lobsters. The pic in the flyer(not that it matters) looks like a main/cold, two claws anyway. It doesn't say they are frozen, but out here it is assumed. So lobster season could easily be thrown out. I'm guess'n they got a hot deal and are use'n it to get people in the door, hence "loss leader".

BTW, next page shows lobster tail, frozen 3-4 oz for $6/ea. They look like main(no spots), but I'm guess'n there are all kinds in the freezer.

Kinda interesting. Get some claw/knuckle meat for $2 less. No brainer, buy the bologna for $.88/12oz. Better get some toilet paper then.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Florida has several other species of lobster that aren't harvested commercially or are extremely rare. Three actually resemble roachs more than what people associate with lobster. I borrowed some pics.

The others, 2 clawed and another type of spiney are very rare.

Craig
Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Florida has several other species of lobster that aren't harvested commercially or are extremely rare. Three actually resemble roaches.

Craig
On one of my commercial fishing trips we hooked up for dinner with some shrimpers. They had bulldozers. Nothing but a walking lobster tail - about 6" of solid lobster meat.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
On one of my commercial fishing trips we hooked up for dinner with some shrimpers. They had bulldozers. Nothing but a walking lobster tail - about 6" of solid lobster meat.
If they were shovel nosed lobbies, they were probably the ones in the top picture. the meat is sooooo much sweeter than the spineys.

Craig

Tags
None