Lobster & price question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they were shovel nosed lobbies, they were probably the ones in the top picture. the meat is sooooo much sweeter than the spineys.

Craig

I do remember hearing "shovelnose" so I guess so. The picture looks about right. It was a wonderful seafood stew. We bought a case of oysters to bring to the feast, they supplied the lobster and shrimp and it was cooked like a Manhattan chowder. Sumptuous!

When we left, we traded them some more of the oysters for a quart size baggie apiece full of shrimp and another bulldozer each. Good eating that trip.

i bought a lobster tail today for 6.99 it is a five oz. looks pretty full of meat. the last time i bought them, two didn't even make a meal. have no clue where this is from. i am certain it was frozen and thawed. i love lobster and once in awhile am willing to pay the price. a fast food burger costs that much these days.

When I am in Kendal Miami I buy live "lobsters" from Garcia Bros Fish Market on the river. To Craig C I'm a Brit and I have visited Cuba the best Island in the Carrib many times, the EU even funds certain projects over there, as we are brothers in arms how daft is it that its out of bounds for you. I live near the Menai straights, there is a Lobster breeding facility that grows thousands up to the age that they are safe from most natural dangers when released.
Seafood that is from cold water is by far the best because it takes longer to mature. I think it is funded by the EU and the Welsh Assembly.
The Menai is between mainland Wales and the Island of Anglesey, the currents are wicked so the water is cold clean also the fish and shellfish have to work hard to stay there, this produces "muscle" which is good texture and taste.
Price over here a big lobster costs less than a restaurant portion size.

Last edited:
Big Al, any chance they are tails only and not whole lobsters? This would make more sense.

I've reread it at least a dozen times, not much to read.;):) I looked over the flyer from back to front, middle has the "Lobster Tail frozen, 3-4oz $5.99/ea". So I thought, ah those are just big crawfish tails. Front page "Sweetheart of a 4 Day Sale" "Whole Cooked Lobster 8-10oz $3.99/ea". The 8-10 oz is what gets me, so small. But, I guess it would be the biggest lobster I've had in a few yrs.:)

Its Dillons(ks Kroger).

I would stay away from cooked lobster. I only buy Florida lobster. (Tails are edible only). NO Maine lobsters in tanks. They are around $23.00 per pound, fresh. And, well worth it. Fresh is the key. No rock lobster either. (Red Lobster sells those.) They are garbage.

(Tails are edible only)

That isn't quite true. Although the tails are most often seen frozen outside of the local market, the head and legs (especially on larger ones) have good meat in them. BTW, this species extends north into the Carolinas. Although in lesser numbers they tend to be on the large size.;)

Craig

When I am in Kendal Miami I buy live "lobsters" from Garcia Bros Fish Market on the river. To Craig C I'm a Brit and I have visited Cuba the best Island in the Carrib many times, the EU even funds certain projects over there, as we are brothers in arms how daft is it that its out of bounds for you. I live near the Menai straights, there is a Lobster breeding facility that grows thousands up to the age that they are safe from most natural dangers when released.
Seafood that is from cold water is by far the best because it takes longer to mature. I think it is funded by the EU and the Welsh Assembly.
The Menai is between mainland Wales and the Island of Anglesey, the currents are wicked so the water is cold clean also the fish and shellfish have to work hard to stay there, this produces "muscle" which is good texture and taste.
Price over here a big lobster costs less than a restaurant portion size.

The only time I have been to "Cuba", it didn't count.:mad: Gitmo really isn't Cuba. Kendal is a about 30 miles from me and I'm not a fan of Dade County. The traffic is horrible. However, we sometimes travel down to the Redlands via Krome Ave. If you are ever there during stone crab season, take a trip to Everglades City and visit Grimm's Stone Crabs. They have the freshest. Their boats harvest everyday and the prices are the best. They supply local markets.

I've also been to the UK and spent about 9 hours there (layover). Which included a bus ride between Heathrow and Gatwick. So, I guess I can't say I just spent time in the airport.:LOL:

Craig

8 ozs does seem way too small. but it is lobster, afterall, so go for it!!! :)

we buy lobsters about once every month or two, whenever one of the local supermarkets has them on sale for uner $6 per pound.

i kinda prefer soft shells because it's that much easier to get to the delicious meat. also, it's pretty cool to be able to extract the clawmeat intact.

i heard a report on a business news radio station last fall that lobster populations are doing really well off the coast of maine so that the price could really go lower. i guess the regulations that were enacted years ago to re-establish maine lobsters worked. maybe too well.

the fishing industry is keeping the price "artificially" high because if it went too low it would remove some of the mystique that lobsters are a luxurious food item.

i cook maine lobsters either by steaming, or boiling with potatoes and corn. i've made caribbean lobster meat before in a sort of spicy alfredo sauce with linguini, but not in a long time.

mmmmmm, lobsters:

img03231.jpg

img03251.jpg

I haven't cooked whole lobsters in a long time... since the Browns beat the Patriots in a playoff game, if that tells you anything :( I won a bet from someone in Worcester and my pay off was two lobsters. I much prefer the tails. I guess I've got something against having food on my plate where certain parts, read innards, are inedible. Not that I would turn down a whole lobster :)
I just cooked a tail a few nights ago using this method I love cooking tails this way. Sorry about the poor pic. I had one pic left before the battery died and this was it.

Attachments

• lobster steak.jpg
    lobster steak.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 284
They are probably coming from a laboratory. just kidding. I love my Florida lobster not the rock lobsters from south America. Big difference. Recently, Florida lobsters were selling for $23.00 a pound at a local fish market in Pompano Fla. They are fresh, daily when in season. And, they have frozen in stock when out of season. They buy right off the boats. It's great. But, not as plentiful as in years past.

I wanted to try them but my wife and daughter where in the town w/the groc store and they said "if your buy'n for us, don't cause we don't like lobster." So I said not to buy them. No fun eating something "fun" alone. Takes all the "fun" out of it.

Wish I would have had them grab 1 or 2, though. Just to see what the deal was.

I haven't cooked whole lobsters in a long time... since the Browns beat the Patriots in a playoff game, if that tells you anything :( I won a bet from someone in Worcester and my pay off was two lobsters. I much prefer the tails. I guess I've got something against having food on my plate where certain parts, read innards, are inedible. Not that I would turn down a whole lobster :)
I just cooked a tail a few nights ago using this method I love cooking tails this way. Sorry about the poor pic. I had one pic left before the battery died and this was it.

That plate has all kinds of goodness on it! Very NICE!!! Get more batteries, for us at least!:mad: ;):LOL:

I haven't check out Hill's site for a while. Nice guy, such a dork, too.;)

I like him, "cooking for dads", "food wishes", and jb 007. Good info and a bit funny too.

8 ozs does seem way too small. but it is lobster, afterall, so go for it!!! :)

we buy lobsters about once every month or two, whenever one of the local supermarkets has them on sale for uner $6 per pound.

i kinda prefer soft shells because it's that much easier to get to the delicious meat. also, it's pretty cool to be able to extract the clawmeat intact.

i heard a report on a business news radio station last fall that lobster populations are doing really well off the coast of maine so that the price could really go lower. i guess the regulations that were enacted years ago to re-establish maine lobsters worked. maybe too well.

the fishing industry is keeping the price "artificially" high because if it went too low it would remove some of the mystique that lobsters are a luxurious food item.

i cook maine lobsters either by steaming, or boiling with potatoes and corn. i've made caribbean lobster meat before in a sort of spicy alfredo sauce with linguini, but not in a long time.
It's funny when you think about it because according to a few things I have read, during the colonial days prisoners were served lobster because they were plentiful and no one else wanted them.

I'm one of the handful of people who don't like lobster or crab--too sweet for me. I was watching a cooking show on PBS recently. They were in the Caribbean, grilling lobsters. He said that the lobsters there tasted a lot different than what most people in the U.S. were used to. Just as I was thinking, "Well then, maybe I would like it," he went on to say that they were much sweeter than most lobster. :LOL: Nope, I wouldn't like it!

:)Barbara

BigAL you should try some lobster next time. Melted butter. Thats all u need.

I bought a live one from the groc store. Did it the "Alton Brown" way using the leg meat w/ritz as a stuffing in the thorax. Did it in the oven, was good. That is the only fresh I've had.

I've wanted to order fresh from Maine, but since nobody else cares for it, I have a hard time spending the money.

I've wanted to order fresh from Maine, but since nobody else cares for it, I have a hard time spending the money.

If you decide to order we have had great service from The Lobster Net.

Kathleen even got me the lobster of the month club one year. Umm.. lobsters once a month for 3 months... yum.

Back
Top Bottom