"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
Lobster consomme

How long should I simmer the stock/egg white mixture? Because one recipe calls for 30 minutes, and the consommes for like beef are calling for 1-1/2 hours long. Is there a specific reason why they are different? I remember reading somewhere lobster broth can become bitter. Can anyone clarify this recipe? Because it also asks to bring the stock./eggwhite to a BOIL! I'm confused! ♥ How to make Shellfish consomme Recipe And Books recipe

__________________

__________________
kookiblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiblob View Post
How long should I simmer the stock/egg white mixture? Because one recipe calls for 30 minutes, and the consommes for like beef are calling for 1-1/2 hours long. Is there a specific reason why they are different? I remember reading somewhere lobster broth can become bitter. Can anyone clarify this recipe? Because it also asks to bring the stock./eggwhite to a BOIL! I'm confused! ♥ How to make Shellfish consomme Recipe And Books recipe
I have read the recipe and its blob on (a lancashire term for accurate), I never cook shellfish or fish bones for soup or stock for longer than 20 to 30 mins as it may cause bitterness, the critical thing is not to stir when the egg white has grabbed hold of the impurities.
I use the whisked egg white method but next time I will try yours
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Takes much longer to extract the flavor from beef bones than Lobster shells.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Takes much longer to extract the flavor from beef bones than Lobster shells.
Consommé is made from stock, so the flavor has already been sucked out and the liquid has been strained,degreased and just needs a tiny little process to make it crystal clear (actually it's a bit involved).

But still your answer is probably right, iMO. There is likely more impurities in beef stock, thus a longer simmering time.

Kookiblob, are you using ground meat for your raft?
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Consommé is made from stock, so the flavor has already been sucked out and the liquid has been strained,degreased and just needs a tiny little process to make it crystal clear (actually it's a bit involved).

But still your answer is probably right, iMO. There is likely more impurities in beef stock, thus a longer simmering time.

Kookiblob, are you using ground meat for your raft?
No, but should I?

(By the way, thanks to everyone for the helpful replies! confidence is slowly seeping back inside of me! :*)
__________________
kookiblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.