"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #41
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
I agree about it possibly being the cooking. I often buy 2+ pounders & cook them at home (boiled), & have never found them to be tough.

Larger sizes than that, however, may take a little more cooking finesse to have them come out properly.
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I agree about it possibly being the cooking. I often buy 2+ pounders & cook them at home (boiled), & have never found them to be tough.

Larger sizes than that, however, may take a little more cooking finesse to have them come out properly.
Andy & Breezy, I think you have a good point re overcooking.

Mish's Lobster Tale

Re the tough-as-nails restaurant 2 pounder-lobster (& the nuked baked potato - blech)...

Looking forward to this special meal, I made reservations in advance for my friend & I. We wanted a really big lobster! My friend (who passed on, bless her soul, I love her bunches), always sent things back as long as I can remember & is very picky, & has been known to walk thru the restaurant kitchen to check things out

When I arrived at the restaurant, my friend was already seated at the very loud bar - sports game going on on TV. The restaurant was empty - 'round lunchtime. My friend had this sheepish look on her face, & knowing my dear friend as I did - I said (insert name) - okay what'd ya do?

She told me she wanted to be sure we were getting a 2-pounder, walked thru the kitchen to see/ask 'bout the lobster. So, sitting in the empty restaurant, with reservations, we waited 30 mins - they told us the potatoes weren't ready - do we want the lobster first. We said No.

Long story short - too late - lobster tough, potato nuked - bill was not cheap. Maybe the staff was watching the big game? I'll never know. Was miffed at the time, but look back and laugh at the whole big lobster experience.

THE BEST - Was Live baby, Live!
BF shows up in full scuba gear at my front door with a live one in each hand. Best I ever had. As to weight, we didn't weigh 'em - just ate em. YUM! & there was plenty 'o meat. :-)
__________________

__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #43
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Unless it's a very casual outdoor seaside place, I never order whole lobster in restaurants anymore. First of all, 9 times out of 10 it's overcooked; secondly, when I enjoy one properly, I'm always a mess afterwards - nothing a little plastic lobster bib or a 2" x 2" "moist towelette" can handle - lol!!

In fact, one of the only times I ever got sick from restaurant food was when my husband & made the mistake, many years ago, of dining at "Red Lobster", where good old "Lobster Fest" was going on. I ordered a lobster & should have known something was awry when no matter what we did, we couldn't crack the claws open. We actually had to send them back to the kitchen, & it took them so long to get them open that I can only assume they had taken them out into the parking lot & were backing a car over them. Obviously had spent WAY too much time under those infrafred heat lamps.

Anyway, later that night, I had one of the most intense cases of - ahem - "intestinal distress" imaginable, & definitely feel it was from that lobster.

It was not only the last time I ordered whole lobster at a non-seaside restaurant, but also the last time I ever ate at Red Lobster.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:22 PM   #44
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Unless it's a very casual outdoor seaside place, I never order whole lobster in restaurants anymore. First of all, 9 times out of 10 it's overcooked; secondly, when I enjoy one properly, I'm always a mess afterwards - nothing a little plastic lobster bib or a 2" x 2" "moist towelette" can handle - lol!!

In fact, one of the only times I ever got sick from restaurant food was when my husband & made the mistake, many years ago, of dining at "Red Lobster", where good old "Lobster Fest" was going on. I ordered a lobster & should have known something was awry when no matter what we did, we couldn't crack the claws open. We actually had to send them back to the kitchen, & it took them so long to get them open that I can only assume they had taken them out into the parking lot & were backing a car over them. Obviously had spent WAY too much time under those infrafred heat lamps.

Anyway, later that night, I had one of the most intense cases of - ahem - "intestinal distress" imaginable, & definitely feel it was from that lobster.

It was not only the last time I ordered whole lobster at a non-seaside restaurant, but also the last time I ever ate at Red Lobster.
Wow. Sorry to hear this Breezy. Red Lobster is okay. What "cracks" me up - is the old get-to-know-your lobster - go to the tank & pick the creature/familiarize yourself with Herman or whomever's in the tank with rubber bands round its' claws & you know Herman will be dead facing down on your plate in no time. I try not to think about it RE market value, who knows. Is the Dow up or down? I'll call my broker. LOL
__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I am sure Amber will back me up on this...The best places to get lobster are the places that look the worst. The little shacks that have all the paint peeling off, red picnic tables out back, screen doors that may or may not still be on the hinges. The lobsters are not served on plates, but instead come in little paper holders. There are no napkins, but instead rolls of paper towels. Those are the places you sould get a lobster from (at least in Maine).
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #46
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am sure Amber will back me up on this...The best places to get lobster are the places that look the worst. The little shacks that have all the paint peeling off, red picnic tables out back, screen doors that may or may not still be on the hinges. The lobsters are not served on plates, but instead come in little paper holders. There are no napkins, but instead rolls of paper towels. Those are the places you sould get a lobster from (at least in Maine).
Hmmm, yes and no, from my experience. Maybe depends on where you live, as well.

Use to be a dingey/dark place on Santa Monica Pier called Moby Dicks. Don't know if they're still around - may have been washed up by storms/rebuilt. Not great atmosphere, but good lobster. There are a few good places in Marina de Rey - not cheap, ambiance, bar, view, etc. There were some excellent places on Pacific Coast Highway - romantic atmosphere, view, watching the waves come in. Newport and Laguna beach has some excellent restaurants/seafood places - not cheap, but oh so good. Perhaps beach communities & NY/East Coast do it best, IMO. Gladstone's use to have a good reputation - it's on the list. On the other hand, Vegas - in the middle of the desert rarely does food badly (unless you're eating at Circus, Circus). Downtown, steak & lobster tail, salad $7.99.

To get back on track, grumble, were you thinking bout the yield for making it at home in a recipe, dining out, etc?
__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,724
a number of restaurants "do" lobster well around me, especially spanish/portugese places, and their prices are reasonable. around $15 for two steamed lobsters, about a pound each, with accompaniments.
of course, most seafood specialty places here have good lobster, but they're pricey.

i agree with gb that the best places in new england are the little shacks that dot the coastal roads. my fave place is next to the tiny bridge in kennebunkport. i have a cookbook of the best recipes from the coastal new england seafood shacks. i'll have to go dig it out.

i love to go to sandy hook, nj on sundays, catch some rays on the beach for the day (i don't go swimming in the ocean anywhere i can still see the city , unless it's 105 out or something. then you will need a tetanus shot, which if you're lucky, you might also find in the sand or surf ).

but then, on the ride home, there's a little outdoor cafe/deck that overlooks (underlooks?) the drawbridge that connects the island of sandy hook to the mainland. they have truely amazing steamed lobster platters, and steamed p!ss clams. unfortunately, they're expensive. around $25 for two 1 pound lobsters and fries. add the basket of steamed clams, a crab cake, corn on the cob, and a few foster's oil cans, and you're talking $75 to $100 for dinner for 2.
still, everything is so fresh, and perfectly steamed or fried it's worth it. supposedly, they get a bi-weekly delivery directly from maine ports.

also, you get to sit at picnic tables on a big deck still in your tank top and flip flops, watching the sailboats queue up, awaiting the next open bridge.
i can't wait to go this year.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #48
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
and steamed p!ss clams.
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what are these and why would you eat something with that name? Please tell me they are named for something other than their flavour.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,724
alix, they are soft shelled clams with a long siphon that sticks out of one end. it looks like a you know what, and they will spit water at you thru it, hence the name.
i think they're also called ipswich clams.

to eat them, they are boiled in a little net-like bag in clam broth, and served in the net in a basket with little bowls of clam broth and clarified butter. you pull open the shell and the creature out of the shell by it's siphon, peel off the skin of the siphon and discard, then dunk it in hot clam broth, then the warm butter. oh man, i'm jonesing for them now.

if you like clams, it's something you must experience.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #50
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Whew. Thanks for that explanation. Being a prairie girl I don't know all the different kinds of clams, etc that are available on the shore. Thanks for the explanation. They sound delicious by the way.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.