"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Contest Winner

Question Lobster meat question

Hey guys... I have a quick question. (I did a search and couldnt find the answer)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows how many grams of actual meat would come out of your average 1 lb live lobster. I know that there will be slight variations, but I'm just looking for an approximation.

Also, does anyone know a formula to calculate the approximate meat yields depending on the weight of a lobster? I'm just wondering if there is some kind of shell/unedible - edible portions ratio...? (eg: 3/4 unedible, 1/4 edible)

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I don't know the answer to your question, but depending on if it is a new shell or old shell the amount of meat will greatly vary.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Cook

a 1 pound (500 g) lobster will contain 3-4 oz. (100-125 g) of meat
Old 05-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Like Chef Jimmy said, a one pound lobster doesn't have very much meat in it. However, smaller lobsters tend to be sweeter than the larger ones like Maine Lobster.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
Contest Winner

Thanks guys... So it's about roughly 1/5th of the weight of the lobster then. (if 100g of meat comes from a 500g lobster) I knew it wasn't very much, but it is oh so worth it!

Now here's another question for anyone reading this: Which do you eat first, the tail or the claws? I always save the tail until the end - start at the front end of the lobster and work my way back. yum yum.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Like Chef Jimmy said, a one pound lobster doesn't have very much meat in it. However, smaller lobsters tend to be sweeter than the larger ones like Maine Lobster.
Yep, 1 lb lobsters (softshell/chicken lobsters in some areas) are sweeter, though the claws are really small and I prefer the claws to the tail. Hard shell lobsters yield more meat because they are more mature. Either way, the size doesnt really matter, it's the cooking technique. Some prefer to steam, boil, broil, or bake. But basically, if you buy a 1 lb lobster, you wont yield much meat. Go with at least 1 1/4 lb-1 1/2 pound lobster.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Never enough! I guess you got your question answered though. I went to the Red Lobster once and picked out the biggest lobster in the tank, thinking he'd be really meaty. Sadly, there was hardly any. Here's a tip if you're making your own: tap on the shell. If it makes noise, I think thats supposed to mean it has less meat in it because it molted its shell recently. Pick one that's silent for a really full lobster. I heared that somewhere, but I forgot wear.

And if you havn't read this...
http://www.coastallobster.com/About_lobsters.htm#meat

Says, "It is difficult to say exactly how many live lobsters it takes to make a pound of meat, mainly because lobsters contain more meat at different times of the year. In the middle of the winter when lobsters are most full of meat, it takes about 41/2 pounds of live lobsters to get a pound of meat. However, in the late summer, when lobsters have shed, it takes about nine 1-pound live lobsters to get a pound of meat."
Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'll eat it any way I can get it, lol. Usually go for the tail first, as it has more meat. Re the yield, don't some have claws - some don't, i.e. East coast vs West?

Just my opinion, but size does matter. Had close to a 2 lb that was tough as nails. Wrote a letter to the restaurant, as it was a special occasion, but no response. Never went back there again.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

If it's a lobster with claws, then I eat the claws first, the tail second, and the tomalley (if any) last. But I tend to gravitate towards spiny or slipper lobsters which have only tail meat, and are generally sweeter and more tender.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
Never enough! I guess you got your question answered though. I went to the Red Lobster once and picked out the biggest lobster in the tank, thinking he'd be really meaty. Sadly, there was hardly any. Here's a tip if you're making your own: tap on the shell. If it makes noise, I think thats supposed to mean it has less meat in it because it molted its shell recently. Pick one that's silent for a really full lobster. I heared that somewhere, but I forgot wear.
It also could mean that the poor lobster sat in the tank for days/weeks without being fed, and was starving. Another tip - when you're buying lobster, only buy from a source you know; or ask the fishmonger how long the lobsters have been in the store tank.

Tags
None