"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My way, has usually been, as others have said, only enough Mayo to moisten, a few chopped chives which will not overpower, I think they enhance plus add a speck of colour and either a quick grind of pepper or a pinch of cayenne, which I do not find detracts either. I do believe I will put very finely chopped celery this time. I did it once before and was pleased with the odd crunch once in a while. Certainly never enough to distract, very small amount.

These are not even for me. Putting them all together for my neighbours getting back around supper from a trip to France. I'm sure they will not want to eat a whole meal, just snack on something. I also want them to remember you can get good food here too!

Thought I would leave their kitchen stocked with something so as not to have to do much the next day. Will leave a couple of croissants with 3 different tiny little pots of jam for breakfast, a couple more croissants to have with 2 different excellent Quebec cheeses and a couple of slices of Prosciutto Fumee/Speck and Capiccolo for lunch.

Supper is on their own ticket. LOL

Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #12
Master Chef

Sounds wonderful dragn, and what a kind neighbor you are!

Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheryl, you're no slacker in the "kind neighbor" department. Just sayin'...

[QUOTE=dragnlaw;1510775...it is time to put together for the Lobster Rolls.

I believe traditional is Mayo...How do you make them?....[/QUOTE]
Since I live a hard sneeze away from CT, I prefer them with butter. As stated in this article from CT Boom: You wouldn’t dunk a regular boiled lobster in a tub of mayo would you? Totally agree. Warm buttered lobster on a buttered-and-grilled roll. Since you are leaving them in the neighbor's fridge, mayo is probably the better way to go. However, if I were your neighbor, I'd rather have the buttered lobster left in a microwave-safe container so I could heat it just before putting it into the roll myself.

According to the article, buttered is preferred in the more southern New England states (well, they don't mention RI but I'll toss them in here) whereas mayo is preferred MA and north. Guess I'm more CT in my chowder, too, since I prefer RI clear (also popular in CT) to the cream-laden version popular in MA and north. Different strokes...and tastes.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

We are a divided family here.

My wife prefers the butter only kind, my son likes the mayo kind, and I will eat lobster any way, any time that I can get it.

I believe the traditional roll is a split top "hot dog" style roll, but IMO, any soft roll will do.

The best lobster rolls that I've had anywhere was when we were up to visit our friends George and Barbara up in Kennebunkport at The Clam Shack: Home - The Clam Shack

The last time we were there, we ate at the shack every single day for a week. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on the menu was awesome.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:15 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Does anyone have recipe for " Hot Dog Rolls " ?

Buckytom: This looks like an amazing seafood / shellfish restaurant in Maine. Checked the website. Surely the next time I cross the Atlantic, I shall book a table. I have some European friends from university who reside in Portland, Maine and Boston.

Lobster rolls: Fabulous idea ! Thanks for posting .. Definitely, what we would call a Lobster Salad on a " bun " or "canapé ", a 1 piece of baguette style bread, which is how it is done here on Costa Brava.

Just a touch of home made mayo, not to distract from the amazing taste of fresh lobster & a pinch of salt, perhaps fresh chives or parsley and or, just dip in some amazing French or Asturian butter !!

Have a wonderful day and Mother´s Day ..
Old 05-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Does anyone have recipe for " Hot Dog Rolls " ?
Here's one: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...og-buns-recipe

You would also need a special pan to make them in. I'm not sure if they're available in Spain. But a lobster salad would be delicious in any soft roll: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...ot-dog-bun-pan
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Everyone has been concentrating on the recipe. But does the dragnlaw have the right pan to make the buns, or are the rolls available? If not, you may purchase a N.E. hot dog bun pan from King Arthur or from here.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakew.../dp/B002UNMZQ2

It makes the job of making your own buns so much easier.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

Im lucky that I live in the epicenter of lobster rolls here in New England.

There are some pretty good ones in Boston and in Maine but

the VERY BEST ONE EVER, IMO can be found at

Red's Eats in Wiscassett. ME

Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
Master Chef

As shown, they serve hot butter and mayo separately on the side. The lobster is on a buttered top-split hot dog bun and is unadorned.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
As shown, they serve hot butter and mayo separately on the side. The lobster is on a buttered top-split hot dog bun and is unadorned.
Now I REALLY want a lobster roll!

Tags
lobster, rolls