Lobster Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was that for Maine lobsters? $5.99/lb is about the cheapest we can get them here, when they go soft shell. They used to get down to around $4/ lb, but I read somewhere that the price is kept "artificially" higher so as not to allow it to be thought of as anything but a delicacy.

How large would you say the tails were on the chickens you buy?

I've never actually weighed them, but I'd say 5oz.

Addie, you've often described over the years that softer shelled lobster meat as "watery".

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Yes, the yield of flesh inside the shell is a teeny bit less, but I've never found tbe meat that you get any different.

When spiny lobsters are molting, I won't touch them. I hardly ever run across them as they stay deeply hidden until the shell has hardened.

Addie, you've often described over the years that softer shelled lobster meat as "watery".

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Yes, the yield of flesh inside the shell is a teeny bit less, but I've never found tbe meat that you get any different.

Tom, I have bought lobster during their molting season. Just before they shed, (a day or less) their shell fills up with sea water and that adds to the weight. By the way, I always try to buy right handed lobsters. It appears to me, that there is more meat in them than left handed ones. I have no explanation for it being that way. Also, left handed lobsters are rare and cost more if ordered in a restaurant.

Buying the 5 ounce tail for $5 actually isn't a bad deal. A couple years ago, when we had an early sustained hot spell and summer came early, I remember Market Basket having lobsters for $3.99 a pound. We don't have them often because they're work. And $3.99 a pound isn't that great of a deal when you figure how much meat you get and how much time you spend getting it. I bought three lobsters at that price for a total of 4# - or $16. I don't remember exactly how much it ended up weighing, but I do remember that when you figured it all out it would have valued at $25...which is exactly what they were selling fresh shelled lobster meat for in the seafood case. :wacko: All that time and no real savings.

Forget the lobster cracker. Use your kitchen scissors. They work much better and faster. And you can still get the meat out whole.

Am watching Delicious Destinations. Showed a Downeaster eating a lobster. Mayo and a buttered roll.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom