"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
That is very reassuring..

I don't lobster enough to put it on a roll...
Simple is best. Steamed or boiled and served with melted butter.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #42
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Simple is best. Steamed or boiled and served with melted butter.
See.. now yer talking things that make me smile...

Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

We just had Maine lobster tails last night. They were on sale, 5oz. tails for $5 each.

They were surprisingly tasty even though they were frozen. Just a quick few minutes in a bamboo steamer, and they were ready for eating (with a swipe through melted butter).

This reminds me of a commercial I saw recently that annoyed me where they said the reason poeple eat lobsters is just as a vehicle for melted butter.

I'm glad I forgot what it was for, otherwise it would be on my list of places to avoid.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

This reminds me of a commercial I saw recently that annoyed me where they said the reason poeple eat lobsters is just as a vehicle for melted butter.

You could pretty much say that about Escargot and/or perriwinkles! Unless they are really fresh and really tender, it is pretty much just for the garlic butter!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Lobster.... on a bun? Lobster? On a bun? With Mayo?

Why would anyone do that to a lobster? I am mixed on even having melted butter with it....

On a bun? My mind boggles....

I have tried a few lobster rolls on trips to New England, and maybe I just didn't get good ones, but I didn't like them. Lobster and mayo just didn't work for me.

Now, melted butter? Oh, yeah. I'm down with that.

CD
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Here's one to add to the pile...

It is my understanding that lobsters were originally considered to be garbage food and were served to the servants. They were also commonly way over 5 lbs.
Yes, all the best foods and recipes were invented by peasants and slaves, who had to use what the rich folk wouldn't eat.

It is so ironic to watch millionaires dine on foods that they would have snubbed their noses at 250 years ago. But, the downside it that these "trash" foods now cost an arm and a leg.

My favorite cut of beef a few years ago was flat-iron steak. Tender, full of flavor... and CHEAP. Then, it made it to the Food Network shows, and the price tripled. Now it costs as much as a good ribeye.

CD
Old 05-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
You could pretty much say that about Escargot and/or perriwinkles! Unless they are really fresh and really tender, it is pretty much just for the garlic butter!
Escargot are one of those foods that can be really awesome, or downright awful, depending on the quality of the snails, and the person who cooks them.

The first time I had them was at a black-tie dinner, and OMG, they were incredible. I've yet to have any that good again.

CD
Old 05-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
We just had Maine lobster tails last night. They were on sale, 5oz. tails for $5 each.

They were surprisingly tasty even though they were frozen. Just a quick few minutes in a bamboo steamer, and they were ready for eating (with a swipe through melted butter).

I'm glad I forgot what it was for, otherwise it would be on my list of places to avoid.
Bucky, The size called "Chicken", 1 to 1-1/4#, are often on sale (live) for $6.99 # here at Penn Dutch. I buy several, steam them till just under done, and vacuum seal the tail, knuckle and claw meat then deep freeze for future use.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Bucky, The size called "Chicken", 1 to 1-1/4#, are often on sale (live) for $6.99 # here at Penn Dutch. I buy several, steam them till just under done, and vacuum seal the tail, knuckle and claw meat then deep freeze for future use.
Craig, have you had Caribbean spiny lobster? I actually like them better than Main Lobster. They should be readily available in Florida.

CD
Old 05-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Craig, have you had Caribbean spiny lobster? I actually like them better than Main Lobster. They should be readily available in Florida.

CD
Seasoning Lobster Boiling Water

Scroll down.

Tags
lobster, rolls