Lobster Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Addie but both styles of Hot Dog Buns are commonly available in our markets. Sometimes you can only find the top ones. We have several famously popular Hot Dog Restaurants here, Lafleurs, La Belle Province, Valentines, and the "steamy" is probably the most ordered one. Not to mention their French Fries... best in the world!

oops forgot to mention - they only serve on the top split ones.

We are a divided family here.

My wife prefers the butter only kind, my son likes the mayo kind, and I will eat lobster any way, any time that I can get it.

I believe the traditional roll is a split top "hot dog" style roll, but IMO, any soft roll will do.

The best lobster rolls that I've had anywhere was when we were up to visit our friends George and Barbara up in Kennebunkport at The Clam Shack: Home - The Clam Shack

The last time we were there, we ate at the shack every single day for a week. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on the menu was awesome.

The original Clam Shack is located in Ipswich, MA up on the North Shore. It is shaped like a clam box.
Clam Box of Ipswich MA, North of Boston Restaurant, Fried Clams

Lobster.... on a bun? Lobster? On a bun? With Mayo?

Why would anyone do that to a lobster? I am mixed on even having melted butter with it....

On a bun? My mind boggles....

:)

Lobster.... on a bun? Lobster? On a bun? With Mayo?

Why would anyone do that to a lobster? I am mixed on even having melted butter with it....

On a bun? My mind boggles....

:)

Think of a seafood salad. Like a crab salad. Only instead of having a seafood salad on a plate by itself sitting on a large leave of lettuce, it is put in a bun.

Now some places get carried away with how it is supposed to be made, but the original was invented by the Maine Diner just over the border from New Hampshire. There is nothing fancy about it, just lobster and a small amount of mayo or melted butter. The chunks of lobster are very large.

The original Clam Shack is located in Ipswich, MA up on the North Shore. It is shaped like a clam box.
Clam Box of Ipswich MA, North of Boston Restaurant, Fried Clams

Addie, there are dozens of clam shacks all up and down the coast. The Clam Box has only been around since '51. There are many that have come and gone since the founding of our country.

I used to use this book as a guide whenever we travel nawth along the coast on a weekend driving adventure (when my wife and I were just dating):

https://www.amazon.com/New-England-Clam-Shack-Cookbook/dp/1580174736

Bun Pans

Everyone has been concentrating on the recipe. But does the dragnlaw have the right pan to make the buns, or are the rolls available? If not, you may purchase a N.E. hot dog bun pan from King Arthur or from here.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware-Aluminized-England/dp/B002UNMZQ2

It makes the job of making your own buns so much easier.

Thank you very much. I will also look at King Arthur´s ..

Of course, the shipping charges will be higher than the cost of the Bun Pan !

Shall definitely look into this.

Thanks again. :ROFLMAO::)

Here's one to add to the pile...

It is my understanding that lobsters were originally considered to be garbage food and were served to the servants. They were also commonly way over 5 lbs.

Here's one to add to the pile...

It is my understanding that lobsters were originally considered to be garbage food and were served to the servants. They were also commonly way over 5 lbs.

Yes. They were also served to prisoners to the point that they rebelled and demanded better food. Lobster was a lunch box staple when they were cheap.

I've seen what you guys do to crabmeat. You're not in any position to complain.

Hey now.. what some people do.. I like to just sit and pick crabs....

Ok.. I'll eat a crab cake every now and then... Though to be fair you usually don't see the same size chunks of meat in a crab you do in a lobster.

Hey now.. what some people do.. I like to just sit and pick crabs....

Ok.. I'll eat a crab cake every now and then... Though to be fair you usually don't see the same size chunks of meat in a crab you do in a lobster.

Lobster roll isn't the only way we eat lobsters.

Back
Top Bottom