"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Head Chef

Lobster Rolls

And now that the first little pigout is done with the lobster - it is time to put together for the Lobster Rolls.

I believe traditional is Mayo, wee touch of Mustard, Celery, Chives and shot of Lemon Juice.

My girlfriend likes to also add Tarragon and a pinch of Cayenne.

How do you make them?

of course served on top-split buttered and toasted Hot Dog Buns, lined with lettuce.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Lobster, Mayonnaise.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

I've had them where the lobster was heated in butter and stuffed into the roll or more common in my area cold lobster mixed with mayonnaise and a very small amount of finely chopped onion and celery.

Try to keep it simple, it should be all about the lobster!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Lobster, Mayonnaise.
This. Use barely enough mayo to hold it together. Nothing else. It's easy to overpower the lobster with other stuff added in.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Lobster roll in New England is kept fairly simple. Most just use salt water to steam/boil. The quality of lobster rolls is judged by the amount of lobster meat you get and how few other ingredients are added. Other ingredients are considered filler and a sinister plot to give you less lobster.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
... Other ingredients are considered filler and a sinister plot to give you less lobster.
THIS^^
Old 05-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Just lobster and mayo is traditional

Nothing else!
Old 05-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Lobster, Mayonnaise.
Same as Andy. But if I have any in the house, I will pull out one of the small center stalks of celery and mince it really, really fine. And I toast the buttered bun. That is the traditional recipe. To add any other seasoning, detracts from the taste of the lobster. I also make sure the lobster is cut into large pieces. It give one the feeling of elegant dining.

The only reason I add the celery is because I need to get veggies into me every time I eat. Otherwise, I stick to tradition. Lobster meat, mayonnaise and a buttered split top New England style hot dog bun toasted.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Lobster roll in New England is kept fairly simple. Most just use salt water to steam/boil. The quality of lobster rolls is judged by the amount of lobster meat you get and how few other ingredients are added. Other ingredients are considered filler and a sinister plot to give you less lobster.
So true Andy. When I order a lobster, I always ask what they put in it. I tell them I need to know due to allergies.(a bold face lie!) If they recite a list of ingredients, then I don't order it. The place in Winthrop my daughter takes me to, gives you really big chunks of lobster with just mayonnaise. And the bun is toasted in butter to perfection on the grill.

Now I want a Lobster Roll!
Old 05-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Lobster roll in New England is kept fairly simple. Most just use salt water to steam/boil.
Using salted water for steaming makes no sense to me. When you bring salt water to a boil, the water is driven off as steam, but the salt remains. That is how desalinization works to obtain drinkable water from sea water. It's also how sea salt is obtained, but that is usually done through normal evaporation, as it's expensive to use all that energy to boil it. Using salted water for boiling lobster is a different kettle of fish, though.

Tags
lobster, rolls