"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If I weren't working over Christmas, I'd over to come down and be your sous chef. I don't think I would ever tire of lobster...although the same can't be said of wild asparagus...grew up eating tons of it and there was a time where I really didn't care if I ever ate it again...that has changed since I now live where it is not as prolific...
Would love to have you here so you can drop the lobsters in the pot. I have to stand on my stool to be high enough to drop them in head first. I feel the same way about boiled or baked lobster. Every time my daughter has it, she has finally stopped asking me if I want her to buy me one. I pass. I am happy with a simple hot dog.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
cheers whiska....that's made my day....not!!
Much cheaper than that here, sorry ....

Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Master Chef

Addie,

You were sweet to do that because cracking and picking a lobster can be tough work. I LOVE mini lobster rolls!!

Did you know that Neptune Oyster is charging $27 for theirs (big though). In Boston!

Neptune's Lobster Roll - Greater Boston Area - Chowhound
Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If I weren't working over Christmas, I'd over to come down and be your sous chef. I don't think I would ever tire of lobster...although the same can't be said of wild asparagus...grew up eating tons of it and there was a time where I really didn't care if I ever ate it again...that has changed since I now live where it is not as prolific...
Your asparagus was my corn.

Growing up in Iowa my mother would bring back 2 dozen for a dollar from the farmers market on Sat and we'd eat it for almost every meal. I think it was because it was one of the only foods besides breakfast cereal that my brother would eat.

We even had a dedicated stick of corn butter for twirling.

But it took me 25 years to actually enjoy summer corn again.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Addie,

You were sweet to do that because cracking and picking a lobster can be tough work. I LOVE mini lobster rolls!!

Did you know that Neptune Oyster is charging $27 for theirs (big though). In Boston!

Neptune's Lobster Roll - Greater Boston Area - Chowhound

My SIL gets theirs at James Hooks on Northern Avenue. Also for the claws, I whack them first with a hammer, then get my trusty kitchen shears and just cut them open. Same with the tail, minus the hammer. Whether it is for commercial sales or private citizens, they always charge the same price. Nobody eats the tamale.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

As an old New Englander, I have been cracking lobsters since a kid. For the claws, you have to move the small claw side to side first with force. Not up and down. Then twist off the rest of it. Cut them with scissors instead of breaking your hands trying to crack them. The meat comes out easily. In fact it almost falls out on its own. For the tail, cut right up the middle on the underside. Then pull apart. As kids, once we were old enough to handle scissors, we had to do our own lobsters. It is much easier to show than explain.

Jasper White gives excellent directions (with pictures) in one or two of his cookbooks on how to open up a lobster. Easy to follow.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Much cheaper than that here, sorry ....
kick a man when he's down why don'cha jenny!!consolation is that crab(my fav seafood)is still relatively cheap over here
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As an old New Englander, I have been cracking lobsters since a kid. For the claws, you have to move the small claw side to side first with force. Not up and down. Then twist off the rest of it. Cut them with scissors instead of breaking your hands trying to crack them. The meat comes out easily. In fact it almost falls out on its own. For the tail, cut right up the middle on the underside. Then pull apart. As kids, once we were old enough to handle scissors, we had to do our own lobsters. It is much easier to show than explain.

Jasper White gives excellent directions (with pictures) in one or two of his cookbooks on how to open up a lobster. Easy to follow.
one of my fondest childhood memories,addie,was when we were on a family holiday in cornwall.i was about 8 or 9.i think we were in polperro
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=po...w=1280&bih=676 and dad & i were sitting on a bench near the harbour wall.huge crabs were being landed off the boats & some of them were being boiled in a cauldron,straight off the boats & sold wrapped up in newspaper.one of the fishermen brought one over,sat down next to us & he started chatting to us & shared his crab with us,still steaming,out of it's newspaper wrapping.that's when i learned how to crack/pick crabs & loved them ever since.happy days eh?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

There definitely is an art to cracking open those crustations. I just seemed to always know. May be it was from watching the grownups.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There definitely is an art to cracking open those crustations. I just seemed to always know. May be it was from watching the grownups.
indeed addie.never fathom out(as this is a semi nautical thread!)folks who say they don't like meat or fish on the bone or seafood in it's shell.not only does it taste far better imo,but it's part of the fun in eating it that way.not forgetting the heads..darn tasty part of a prawn,crab or lobster the roe & coral etc!!

Tags
lobster, salad