"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Lobster Salad

Yesterday when my daughter was here we got to talking about her husband's family's tradition of having his four sisters, along with him and my daughter each year take turns of having his family get together for a Christmas party. Well, last year was my daughter's turn, but she was on her chemo week and just didn't feel up to it. So this year she would like to try and take her turn. It consists of the three sisters and their spouses. About ten to fifteen people all. But she wanted an easy menu. I suggested that she have lobster salad in mini hot dog rolls for an appetizer. Buy about four lobsters, pick up a couple packages of mini New England style rolls and put them out for picking at. Easy. Cut the meat up into small pieces, mix in a couple of finely diced celery ribs, mayo, salt, pepper, toast the rolls on each side. Easy to do. I told her I would gladly cook the lobsters for her and shell them and put the rolls together. She loved the idea. I intend to line each roll with a small piece of lettuce. Or dice it very fine and mix in with the lobster. It will help stretch it.

I don't think she even realizes that there is a method to my madness. If I make the lobster salad and put it all together, I can manage to have one or two mouthfuls of lobster left over for me. Normally I turn my nose up at lobster. I am so sick of it. Been eating it since childhood. But I love it as a salad.

Knowing my daughter, if she begins to get tired or not feeling well, she will just get up and go to bed in the middle of the party without saying a word to anyone. I really don't think she will be up to it. But we will see. She is going to make an eggplant parm also. That is a lot of work. The sister will each bring a dish that is suitable for a buffet.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
sounds delicious addiegot to say i prefer crab to lobster(as you will know from harry's got crabs again posts!)not that i would turn my nose up at one.sadly lobster is a very expensive occasional treat this side of the pond.my local costco used to sell a pretty tasty frozen maine lobster for about 10/$15 but they've discontinued that line.i do buy the frozen/shell on tails from a chinese supermarket not far from me,but you lose out on the claw meat,and,of course the head.the contents of the head of lobster & prawns etc are the best bit imho!
i remember flying to the caribbean in the days when it was unusual to get a direct flight & the planes used to land at bangor maine to either refuel or to change to a domestic internal flight.used to order a case of maine lobsters to be picked up on the return flight.can't remember if they were live or chilled but they were certified as ok for importation by uk customs.they were fabulous & cheap as chips by uk standards...happy days addie!!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I prefer the sweet taste of crab, too, but a nice nutty tasting lobster is a nice treat once in a while. I eat lobster infrequently enough that it's always a treat.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
Lobster was really cheap ~approx $4.99 US / lb this summer. Or so I read. The News didn't reach this far inland as prices remained high.

But I love lobster salad sandwiches. Only had one in my life. So, perhaps not Plural.

That is a nice thing to contribute to your daughter's turn at party giving. This way she doesn't even need to raise a hand with your help and I bet it's time consuming.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Lobster was really cheap ~approx $4.99 US / lb this summer. Or so I read. The News didn't reach this far inland as prices remained high.

But I love lobster salad sandwiches. Only had one in my life. So, perhaps not Plural.

That is a nice thing to contribute to your daughter's turn at party giving. This way she doesn't even need to raise a hand with your help and I bet it's time consuming.
cheers whiska....that's made my day....not!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
sounds delicious addiegot to say i prefer crab to lobster(as you will know from harry's got crabs again posts!)not that i would turn my nose up at one.sadly lobster is a very expensive occasional treat this side of the pond.my local costco used to sell a pretty tasty frozen maine lobster for about 10/$15 but they've discontinued that line.i do buy the frozen/shell on tails from a chinese supermarket not far from me,but you lose out on the claw meat,and,of course the head.the contents of the head of lobster & prawns etc are the best bit imho!
i remember flying to the caribbean in the days when it was unusual to get a direct flight & the planes used to land at bangor maine to either refuel or to change to a domestic internal flight.used to order a case of maine lobsters to be picked up on the return flight.can't remember if they were live or chilled but they were certified as ok for importation by uk customs.they were fabulous & cheap as chips by uk standards...happy days addie!!
They had to be live. The second they die on their own, the toxins start to go work and get into the meat. You have to cook them when they are alive. Thy were probably extremely well chilled though.

For two summers now, the price has dropped out of the bottom on lobsters. The lobster boats were skipping the middle man and selling their lobsters right at the dock from their boats.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They had to be live. The second they die on their own, the toxins start to go work and get into the meat. You have to cook them when they are alive. Thy were probably extremely well chilled though.

For two summers now, the price has dropped out of the bottom on lobsters. The lobster boats were skipping the middle man and selling their lobsters right at the dock from their boats.
bearing in mind that the bulk of the lobsters that are sold over here are almost certainly maine imports,i haven't noticed the price going down any,guess that's life 'eh?think i'll stick to me crabs...or maybe it's the other way round?!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
bearing in mind that the bulk of the lobsters that are sold over here are almost certainly maine imports,i haven't noticed the price going down any,guess that's life 'eh?think i'll stick to me crabs...or maybe it's the other way round?!!
Although the bulk of lobsters do like to hang off the coast of Maine, the proper name for them is "the North Atlantic Lobster." And they do have lobster men in Ireland and the UK. More in Ireland than the UK. Most of the ones caught in the UK are found north off the coast of Scotland among the Hebides Islands. There are lobster all along the eastern seaboard here. But the ones down south could never survive here in the cold waters of the north. And they don't have the big claws that the North Atlantic ones do. All you get from the Spiny Tail ones are just that. The tails. BTW, did you know there are left and right handed lobsters? It all depends on which side the big claw is located on.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
If I weren't working over Christmas, I'd over to come down and be your sous chef. I don't think I would ever tire of lobster...although the same can't be said of wild asparagus...grew up eating tons of it and there was a time where I really didn't care if I ever ate it again...that has changed since I now live where it is not as prolific...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Although the bulk of lobsters do like to hang off the coast of Maine, the proper name for them is "the North Atlantic Lobster." And they do have lobster men in Ireland and the UK. More in Ireland than the UK. Most of the ones caught in the UK are found north off the coast of Scotland among the Hebides Islands. There are lobster all along the eastern seaboard here. But the ones down south could never survive here in the cold waters of the north. And they don't have the big claws that the North Atlantic ones do. All you get from the Spiny Tail ones are just that. The tails. BTW, did you know there are left and right handed lobsters? It all depends on which side the big claw is located on.
lot of lobster men in cornwall too.the problem is that even with the size of the fleets,the relatively low numbers landed coupled with the huge demand across europe for british seafood,means that the prices are very very high on the domestic market.the bulk of our home produced mussels & langoustines(scampi) go to europe too.luckily the numbers are huge so the prices are relatively low at home.fresh langoustines are about 12/$18 per kilo,about 5/$8 per lb & mussels 4/$6 per kilo about 1.80/$3 lb.
i knew lobsters had one claw larger than the other but i didn't know they could be either left or right handed(clawed!).maybe someone should breed ambidextrous lobsters,that way they'd have two large claws....yay!!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lobster, salad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.