"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Not to mention a crawfish boil that is popular here in Louisiana. Instead of just one lobster being boiled, it's thousands of live crawfish being plunged into the water at the same time.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hi All

Thought I'd add my bit here.

I love lobster and fresh is definitely best - even if the fishmonger says it's fresh, you don't know how fresh.

Plus, if you want to split and grill it - it needs to be raw (ish)

Good method

Into a plastic bag and then in the freezer for two hours - this puts it into a deep sleep.

Then into a pan of boiling water to kill it - if you're going to grill or barbecue it - (raw) then just give it one and a half minutes - this will kill it for sure so that you can split and grill/barbecue.

If you're going to eat it as a cooked lobster, then boil it for 8 minutes per pound.

Hope this helps the squeamish

Regards

Liz

www.find-a-seafood-recipe.com

Old 06-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Master Chef

cats, you could buy lobster tails. maybe that'd be easier.
but if you prefer fresh lobster, and you're gonna cook it as soon as you get home, you could ask the fishmonger to do it in for you. i won't say how, but one place around here does that for you if you want.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I wish I could afford lobster. I have no compunction about boiling one (or more) alive. Bring on the butter!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:38 AM   #15
Master Chef

The problem with the "tree hugging - bunny loving" PBS nature shows is that they don't tell you all the story - in the case of lobsters, crabs and crayfish - the anatomy and physiology of the nervous system. They are not like mammals.

Buckytom's method #1 is good ... I'm not going to waste good vodka on getting the lobster drunk first. Of course, if you consume enough vodka first .... dang the torpedoes, plunge that baby in the pot!

Someone else mentioned the method of using a chef's knife - drive the point in behind the head and tail and then pull down forward to split the head in half. That works - so does an ax cleaving your skull in "Friday 13th - part 47".

Hey - just throw the puppy in the freezer for about 30-min to an hour, or put it in an ice water bath ... put it to sleep before you dispatch it to culinary heaven (with lots of clarified butter).

I grew up spending summers on my Uncles farms and ranches ... you want a steak, you gotta kill a cow - if you want fried chicken on Sunday - Grandma has to ring a neck or two (and I usually got stuck on "plucking" duty).

And, for our Vegan friends ... there is EEG research that shows that plants exhibit "death" similar to mammals. So, the next time you pick up a bag of carrotts ....
Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

LOL

All very funny - I wouldn't want to plunge a knife into a lobster - I'm a bit squeamish and they flap around a bit apparently, which could be very unpleasant. That's why if I'm grilling or barbecuing lobster, I freeze it, then into boiling water for just a minute and a half to kill it - then I have no hesitation in cutting it in half and enjoying.

Do you know what though - I actually prefer the taste of crab to lobster.

This is a great message board - I've been offline for a couple of months - my dad's been ill and has died, so I've not had much time for internet things - sure glad to be back though.

Regards

Liz

Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

my sympathies for your loss liz. your dad is enjoying all the crab and lobster he wants in heaven now.

to stay on topic, make sure your pot of water is at an extreme rolling boil, especially if you have large (2 lbs. +) lobsters and you're gonna chuck 'em in alive. the last time i made them i was in a hurry and didn't wait until the water was at a full rolling boil. it was boiling, but not at it's maximum. i popped the first live lobster in, and he died instantly. i then put in the second one, shortly after so they'd cook in the same amount of time, but the temp of the water came way down from the first lobster sinking it. so the second guy was alive for a good 5 minutes, until the water came back to the full boil. it really creeped me out (as i melted the butter and nuked the potates ).
Old 06-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks Buckytom - that's really nice of you - it happened very quickly and although we expected it, he was supposed to be coming out of hospital the next morning - less than 6 hours to go, I got a call to say he'd died. Big shock but thankfully I'd been with him that day and my mum was with him when he died - very peacefully.

And a really good point about the lobster - would have upset me too and I'm not normally squeamish - but glad to see you enjoyed them anyway.

Liz

Old 06-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Be aware that if you use the buckytom method of disposing of the lobster, it is still going to wiggle and flop around - a little disconcerting if you're not ready for it!

I don't mind the flopping around so much. It's the screaming I have trouble with.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

lol andy. i wonder if maine lobsters scream with a new england accent???

ahhhh, the water's wicked hot!!!!

btw, liz, it's hard not to read your seafood site like bubba from "forrest gump"...

Tags
None