Lobster Tale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't have anything to add except I love lobster in melted butter and if I have to stick it live in boiling water so be it. A friend in Ma. was going to send us some as a thank you for taking care of his house, but they have a red tide up there and he can't get any. Hopefully when the red tide is gone, lobsters will be on their way here.

liz, there was a guy on forrest gump, named bubba, who dreamed of owning a shrimp boat after he got out of the army. there's a famous scene where he lists all of the things you can make with shrimp.

I thought you were supposed to skewer a lobster through the tail first before boiling.. to keep it from curling? I'm sure that can't feel good.

I could never put a live animal under the knife.. I went fishing for a week once... and we caught this big ugly catfish, and my step dad told my brothers and I that we needed to clean it if we wanted him to fry it up for dinner. Problem was, we didn't have a knife with anough weight to just chop it head off, and we didn't want to saw it head off with smaller knife... so we found a big rock and tried to smash its head ... i know it sounds terrible but there was no better way! So it took us like 10 minutes before we even had the nerve to swing this big rock at the fish's head.... and when we did, it didn't die! It flopped and squirmed! We couldnt take it anymore,, so we called step dad over who was somehow able to chop off this huge fish head with 2 swings of the little knife (big guy.. about 6'2"" so he has a fair bit of power in his swing i guess). After it was dead we didn't have any trouble getting the skin off, but we just couldn't kill it.

The only thing i might be able to kill is a cow. They are SO dumb, and I hate them, because they break everything! For tose of you that don't know, (which would be everyone, now that I think of it) my g/f and I work out at a horse farm that raises some beef cattle for some extra cash here and there. Our cows are notorious for breaking everything in sight! We routinely find them in the neighboring farms, munching on grass. The dumb things walk straight through barbed-wire fence, and get cut up pretty bad in the process... and I hate fixing those fence posts they bend over. RRRRRGGHG! Makes me angry just thinking about it!

Yes, cows I could kill. Happily. LOL

My husband will not eat a lobster because of the way they are boiled while alive. I love lobster! My favorite part is the claws.

Lobsters do not really scream. The sound you hear is the steam from inside their shells escaping; so please do not think it is them screaming.

If lobsters can smoke those little cigarettes I give them while they are blindfolded before I do the deed, they can scream. LOL

Actually we usually make our lobsters baked and stuffed that requires offing the bug before splitting it, cleaning it up a bit, and stuffing.

Have found if I take a large chef's knife and plunge it into the indentation, sorta shaped like an 'X' behind the eyes, they just crumble, with rarely a spasm.

Will also off them that way before steaming, which we prefer to boiling. Found that boiling makes them more watery and less tasty.

Humane way to boil lobster

The humane way to boil live lobster is to hypnotize them, this is done by rubbing the large piece of protruding shell that sticks out above and between the two eyes. Just rub your finger on the shell back and forth for about 10 seconds and they are hypnotized and feel nothing, I wrote this in the first cookbook I published and have always had wonderful safe humane results.
The second method is to place the live lobster in about 1-2 inches of cold water in a very large pot, cover them with a wet tea or light wet kitchen towel and slowly bring to a low boil, they fall asleep in the heat of the water temp rising, though I prefer the first method, but the slower and lower they are cooked results in the most tender of meat.
Good luck!

I hereby hire philherb to rub me and hypnotise me before I die (well, heck, he could rub me now....)

auntdot, your dry sense of humor never fails to make me laugh.

bucky, here's how those Maine lobsters die:

"Ayup. This wateh's wicked haaaaaat."

liz, i am gonna try to make the recipe for cioppino from your site when i'm on vacation in next week. can't wait, i can almost taste it already...

Back
Top Bottom