"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Lobster Tale

Nature can be so cruel. I love lobster, think it is one of the top two or three deliciousest foods in the world. (I also feel this way about watermelon. Watermelon is what I imagine the gods on Olympus eat. My idea of a heavenly meal is lobster in clarified butter with iced watermelon and melons.)

Anyway, though I adore lobster, I've always had a problem with the cooking method -- you know, live animal into the boiling water <wince>. But I always got over it, sorta. But then I saw the most marvelous nature show a few years ago, all about lobsters, their lives in the briny deep and so on. Their lives are amazing. A certain kind of lobster does a migration, something like 2,000-mile-long conga line from southern waters to the north. Each lobster is the exact same distance away from the lobster ahead of him, and they trot along the floor of the ocean, like Thoroughbred pacers, very fast. The filmmakers set up a camera on the ocean floor. Picture this incredibly long line of lobsters, trotting for hundreds of miles, each one perfectly spaced with the guy ahead of him and behind him ...

Yesterday I was in the grocery store and as always, I stopped at the lobster tank to watch the lobsters for awhile. I never realized it, but at the end of their legs -- their little legs, the non-big claw ones -- they have a little two-digit pincer, that opens and closes like a little fist. This one lobster was at the side of the tank, leaning up, and he was pincing at the glass as though trying to find something to grasp, to climb out. Tap-tap-tap, pause ... tap, tap. He was beautiful, dark brown, velvety coat with golden blotches. For two cents, I'd have bought him and taken him home and set him up in his own acquarium, with craggy things to climb around on -- or no, I'd have driven him to where he would normally have been in his migration, and set him free. Run, little lobster, run like the wind!

How can I ever eat lobster again? How can I not ever eat lobster again???

SOB.

Cats

Old 01-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you for sharing. I could actually see this all unfolding in my head!

:) Barbara

Old 01-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Awww, lobster bonding - how cute!

When I was little, my dad hunted - a lot; to put food on the table, although he was a sport hunter, he never hunted anything for a 'rack', and never put up a 'blind', went out and tracked. As a toddler, I remember being excited when Daddy came home with a big buck, or rabbit, or pheasant, and had a whole collection of feathers and tails. Then, at about 6 or 7 (? the age of 'reason') it all of a sudden hit me that Daddy was bringing home Bambi and Thumper, and that I was expected to eat them at the dinner table!

Well, Daddy took me out to the woods, and explained his philosophy to me, that we had been given the animals, along with the 'fruits of the field' to eat; he told me that when he was young, he had a friend who is a Native American, and they would go hunting all the time. Whenever his friend would bring down an animal, he always said a prayer over the animal, thanking him for providing food for his family's table.

I've always remembered that, and hold somewhat 'sacred' all of the food we eat, even the 'beasts' and fishes of the seas.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

This is a very sensitive topic to reply to, and I have to be careful how I go about this. All meat was once living...beef, fish, pork, lobster, etc. Each has to die in order to be consumed (except for live oysters, etc, but I'm not going to talk about that). You have to accept the fact that if you are to eat meat, something will have to die in whatever manner for this to take place. It's just that with lobster, you actually witness the "death", and for certain folks, this is troublesome.

I for one cannot enjoy eating without meat in my diet. The entrees that I cook are designed around meat, and branch out from there. I respect the vegitarian, however, I cannot be one. If it's a religious issue, God created us with these teeth called canines, which flank our smile on our upper rows of teeth, whose sole purpose is to rip into flesh, like it or not.

Ah, but I digress. The reason that lobster is kept live until the very end is because there is a natural bacteria within the lobster that, upon the lobster's death, begins to immediately break down and deteriorate the flesh.

Some Americans are repulsed at the prospect of live or fresh food. Most would like their (chicken or whatever) wrapped in plastic and sitting for a week at the local food store. I guess this makes it more tasty to some, but not for me. The fresher the better.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, here's a compromise. for people squeamish about sending lobsters to their boiling watery deaths, you could do 1 of 2 things to reduce their suffering.
the first is to take a knife and plunge it between the eyes of the lobster, into the shell, thus instantly putting it out of it's misery, like slaughtering any animal for food.
the second one is my favorite, but a waste of good vodka imo. make a bath of vodka, water, and ice, and submerge the lobsters in it. they will ingest some of the vodka and get drunk, as well as slow their metabolisms from the ice. they will appear to have passed out drunk when you toss them into the pot.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I see two other options.

1. Invite a friend over for dinner who does not mind putting the lobsters in the pot while you stay in the living room sipping on a nice glass of wine.

or

2. Take a trip of New England and go to any of the lobster shacks along the coast. Let someone else do the cooking and cleaning :)

I cooked my first lobsters this past year. I had always wanted to do it because lobster is one of my favorite foods, but I had a hard time dealing with cooking it alive or putting a knife through its head. Well I ended up cooking them alive and I do have to say it was a bit disturbing, but I got over it and would (and will) do it again.

On a separate note, Catseye, next time you have lobster try using regular melted butter instead of clarified butter. My whole life I had only used clarified butter because that is how you eat lobster, but then I hear that Jasper White serves his lobsters with just melted butter. What a difference. I loved it. I still like it with clarified, but melted is a nice change of pace.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Be aware that if you use the buckytom method of disposing of the lobster, it is still going to wiggle and flop around - a little disconcerting if you're not ready for it!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Plunging a lobster headfirst into boiling water should kill it instantly. To make it easier place the lobster in the freezer with a wet/damp tea towel over it for about a half hour. The cold will sedate it and may even put it to sleep.

Just make sure it is head first, no need to make it suffer.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Be aware that if you use the buckytom method of disposing of the lobster, it is still going to wiggle and flop around - a little disconcerting if you're not ready for it!
Very true. Even though it's killed instantly, it still twitches for some time which may not be the best thing for people who think that they are torturing it. In fact, if you remove the tail immediately afterwards and tap it, it will curl up. Live Mirugai, or giant clam, at sushi restaurants will do the same thing...curl when you tap it.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks, Haggis! I like that solution. It's actually a non-issue, since I can't afford to buy lobster, anyway, LOL. But if I'm ever in a position of having to cook lobster, I'll definitely use your method.

Thanks to everyone for all your replies. I must tell you, I intended the original post to only be half-serious in the first place. I can't say I actually agonize over the matter. We don't treat any of our food animals all that well, after all. You could go nuts if you spent any amount of time thinking about it.

Cats

Tags
None