"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
Master Chef

Looking for some low budget meal ideas for Lent

I went to the market this morning and picked up a one pound "brick" of frozen haddock, I haven't seen them in years! It gave me a flashback to the 70's so I went looking for a can of cream of shrimp soup to pour over it and bake topped with a few buttered bread crumbs or crispy onion rings! Imagine my surprise when the can of soup cost almost as much as the fish! I nixed that idea. I will probably bake the thawed haddock topped with a sauce made using diced tomatoes, olive oil, capers, celery, garlic, onion and green olives.

I got to thinking about other inexpensive seafood or vegetarian dishes to serve during Lent. I need to stick to low carb options for myself so the old standby mac and cheese or tuna noodle casserole won't cut it anymore. I can probably go with cauliflower and cheese or broccoli parmigiana.

I could use a couple more ideas, what's on the menu at your house during Lent ?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have my doubts I practice Lent in the traditional sense. I Look Forward to Lent because just about every Catholic Church and Neighborhood Bar has Friday Fish Fries, and I (and we, to some extent) take full advantage. Not giving up much. Some churches even have dessert included.

How about making some of these dishes--

Vegetable soup, minestrone soup, potato soup or clam chowder, Substitute Veg broth instead of meat broth if its in a recipe Google up a butternut squash soup with curry or apple juice in the ingredients. I've eaten (not made) both, and each was equally good.

Quiche, broccoli or other favorite vegetable mix

Falafels. Love my mid east take out place. I'm not a big eater, the plus side is I can usually get two meals for about $6, if i include a salad and pita bread.

Salmon cakes or salmon loaf. I like to spoon creamed peas as the sauce.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Some more thoughts. I like a baked potato with broccoli / cheese / topping.

I'm happy with a sweet potato and some chili spices as a main dish.

Lettuce wraps. You could make tuna sandwich lettuce wrap.

Greek salad.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I went to the market this morning and picked up a one pound "brick" of frozen haddock, I haven't seen them in years! It gave me a flashback to the 70's so I went looking for a can of cream of shrimp soup to pour over it and bake topped with a few buttered bread crumbs or crispy onion rings! Imagine my surprise when the can of soup cost almost as much as the fish! I nixed that idea. I will probably bake the thawed haddock topped with a sauce made using diced tomatoes, olive oil, capers, celery, garlic, onion and green olives.

I got to thinking about other inexpensive seafood or vegetarian dishes to serve during Lent. I need to stick to low carb options for myself so the old standby mac and cheese or tuna noodle casserole won't cut it anymore. I can probably go with cauliflower and cheese or broccoli parmigiana.

Serve that over some steamed spaghetti squash (can be done in the microwave) and you have a nice "pasta" meal. The squash has about 7g carbs in a one cup serving.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Chick pea or red lentil veg curries. I like to use any mixture of potato, carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, cauliflower, etc, with onion and garlic. Sometimes I cheat and just use "curry powder" but if I want to push the boat out I use the separate spices.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Soups

There are many soups that you could make, such as cream of leek and cauliflower soup, clam chowder (both of these soups using non-fat milk or unsweetened Almond milk), bean with bacon soup, coleslaw with stove top grilled whitefish, seafood gumbo. Spaghetti squash with tomato and red bell pepper marinara.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love cabbage soup, it's so amenable to additions and creation.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Aunt Bea, you live in the part of this country where Cod is readily available. How about Cod Fish Cakes with baked beans? I used not only mashed potatoes but put in peas the cakes also. The kids got their veggies and their protein in one bite. And they didn't even know they were eating healthy.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Master Chef

As a kid I remember well when we couldn't eat meat on any Friday, let alone during lent. To top it off, my parents owned a meat market and he never sold fish at all, so canned tuna or cheese was the norm. My Dad and I were Catholic, but not my Mom. She honored the no meat on Friday, but would quip we were restricted from meat on Friday because St. Peter was a fisherman. What a character she was and I miss them still.

Anyway, I still don't like meatless meals so I'm of little help.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I use lots of beans in salads, soups, and meatless chili. The chili is great over a baked potato. Try lots of sautéed veggies served with different grains such as quinoa.

Tags
budget, recipe

Looking for some low budget meal ideas for Lent I went to the market this morning and picked up a one pound "brick" of frozen haddock, I haven't seen them in years! It gave me a flashback to the 70's so I went looking for a can of cream of shrimp soup to pour over it and bake topped with a few buttered bread crumbs or crispy onion rings! Imagine my surprise when the can of soup cost almost as much as the fish! :ohmy: I nixed that idea. I will probably bake the thawed haddock topped with a sauce made using diced tomatoes, olive oil, capers, celery, garlic, onion and green olives. I got to thinking about other inexpensive seafood or vegetarian dishes to serve during Lent. I need to stick to low carb options for myself so the old standby mac and cheese or tuna noodle casserole won't cut it anymore. I can probably go with cauliflower and cheese or broccoli parmigiana. I could use a couple more ideas, what's on the menu at your house during Lent ? 3 stars 1 reviews