"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

I just pulled some of the cooked salmon out of the freezer (from week before last) to thaw for TB's sandwich tomorrow. It is as fresh and moist when it thaws as when it is first cooked. I may have some in a salad for dinner tonight.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Half Baked

I used to grill my salmon all the time. I prefer now to bake it in the oven. I think it comes out moister and the fat doesn't cook out as much. I use a pyrex dish and find that when I sprinkle with EVOO the skin sticks terrible. If I don't put anything in the pan it comes right out for me.

I like mine seaoned lighty and baked with plenty of wasabi on the side.
The lemon dill is also a very good and classic pairing.

I think I know what I will be cooking Friday.

On edit: I also like mine cooked medium with a little pinker in the middle.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

My older son is serving salmon for Easter dinner. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Steve and I don't like salmon, but believe me, we'll eat it and keep quiet.

He purchased two very large salmon fillets at Costco and he's making a crab cake type stuffing to go between them. He's going to tie the whole thing together with butchers twine, bake it and serve hollandaise sauce over the sliced portions. Bless his heart, it sounds like a very ambitious and expensive undertaking to me! My easy contributions to the meal will be my special rice pilaf and bacon wrapped fresh asparagus.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Any sauce you may suggest per this salmon? I've been requested to make sauce. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Any sauce you may suggest per this salmon? I've been requested to make sauce. Thank you in advance.
Charlie, an easy hollandaise is good. I take two egg yolks in a heavy bottomed pot, with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/2 cup cold butter cut into two pieces. Stir the lemon and yolks together, and on medium heat stir the first piece of butter steadily into the yolks. When the first piece is melted in, do the same with the second piece and take it off the heat immediately when the second piece is melted and stirred in. Serve immediately. This is very much like more difficult methods and doesn't break as easily. It's from Betty Crocker!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
Master Chef

LP, I tried your recipe 2 weeks ago and it came out so wonderful! I have another fillet to cook again this week. Since DH's heart problems we're trying to eat more fish which is something my mom never cooked a lot of (I only remember having fish sticks or creamed mackerel on toast). So simple and so good!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #17
Head Chef

A week or so ago I baked a smaller piece of salmon in the oven. Really good and easy. It was a tad too lemony, but my fault -- I should have used less zest with this smaller piece. Still very good, and good the next day on a mixed greens salad.

I bought this salmon at Publix, where they advertised it as Wild Salmon. May I ask you salmon lovers out there, which is more healthful - wild caught or farmed, and are we in danger of depleting the wild stock?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wild Caught is better for you, I think the wild salmon are doing fine.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Agree with the princess 👸

This site has an app where you can search for safe and sustainable seafood: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations

You can also search on the website or print out a wallet card for your region.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #20
Head Chef

Thank you. The answer from two reliable sources, and so fast!

Tags
fish, recipe, salmon

LP's Baked Salmon 1 large salmon fillet (with or without skin) 2 lemons Fresh (minced fine) or dried dill salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste Put salmon skin side down (if there is any) on a shallow baking pan. I like to use parchment paper as a liner but foil or just the pan will do fine. Zest or grate one lemon and add the zest to the dill; sprinkle over the surface of the fillet. Use salt and pepper to taste. Thinly slice the lemons and cover the whole surface of the fillet. Bake until opaque and flaky, about 20 - 30 minutes at 350 F depending on thickness. The parchment and lemon help to keep all moisture and flavour in. 3 stars 1 reviews