"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Cook

Marinating Shrimp?

I want to marinate 3 pounds of shrimp for tomorrow night in a mixture of hot sauce and BBQ sauce. Can I put the shrimp in the marinaide tonight? Or do you think it would break down the shrimp? The shells will be left on.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd wait and marinate the shrimp an hour or two before cooking.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Do what Andy said, but it might also be better to just marinate the shrimp in some oil, seasonings, the hot sauce, etc. but not the bbq sauce. I would serve the bbq sauce on the side, because it will be extremely messy to eat when you're peeling the shrimp, and it will also create a mess on your grill when you cook them.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I agree with Andy R and IC. It wont take long to marinade shrimp, compared to say beef, pork, etc. I think if you were to marinade it tonight it would make the shrimp a bit mushy. Good point about the BBQ sauce and messiness when people peel and eat it! Serve it on the side.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

The vinegar in the hot sauce will have cooked your shrimp by then. Any additional cooking time will produce a very tough shrimp.

Are you dead set on those ingredients for the marinade? It sounds like you are interested in a bbq shrimp dish. New Orleans is famous for it's barbecued shrimp, but there is no barbecue sauce in it.

If you do a search for an authentic recipe you might find something you'd be happier with.

If it's buffalo shrimp you're looking for, you don't have to marinate at all. But you should remove the shell, leaving the tail intact. Bread and fry them, like wings...and then, toss the fried shrimp into a mixture of melted butter and hot sauce.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
The vinegar in the hot sauce will have cooked your shrimp by then.
this gal and I think alike. just jumped ahead of my observation!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
There is no need to marinate shrimp at all for barbecued shrimp. The sauce will impart lots of flavor just in the cooking process!

Marinating shrimp for more than about 2 hours (that's the ABSOLUTE max) will effectively "cook" your shrimp -- as in ceviche. The acid cooks the shrimp quuite quickly, where it doesn't do that to beef... Overnight marinating of shrimp or other fish at any time will result in mushy and inedible product. I know that's not what you're after!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I've had this recipe for over 25 years - gasp!, lol - from a friend of mine; there's no vinegar in it, but it sure is good! When I've marinated it for less than 24 hours, it just doesn't taste the same!

PEGGY'S MARINATED SHRIMP
2 lbs. shrimp *
2/3 cup oil
1T salt
4T ketchup
2 tsp. paprika
6 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. cayenne (more or less to your taste.

Blend together, add shrimp, marinate overnight. Place on shallow baking pan, bake at 450 10 minutes.

* You can shell the shrimp or not - depending on what kind of party you're having!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Are you dead set on those ingredients for the marinade? It sounds like you are interested in a bbq shrimp dish. New Orleans is famous for it's barbecued shrimp, but there is no barbecue sauce in it. .
And I was just goona say this! VB beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
They're available frozen as well. Most shrimp (over 95%) sold in the US has been frozen. Unless you live near a shrimp fishng center, the odds of getting fresh shrimp are very low.
This is why it's almost always better to buy frozen shrimp rather than the thawed shrimp sitting in the fish case.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
I've had this recipe for over 25 years - gasp!, lol - from a friend of mine; there's no vinegar in it, but it sure is good! When I've marinated it for less than 24 hours, it just doesn't taste the same!

PEGGY'S MARINATED SHRIMP
2 lbs. shrimp *
2/3 cup oil
1T salt
4T ketchup
2 tsp. paprika
6 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. cayenne (more or less to your taste.

Blend together, add shrimp, marinate overnight. Place on shallow baking pan, bake at 450 10 minutes.

* You can shell the shrimp or not - depending on what kind of party you're having!
There's no acid in your marinade, Marmalady, that's why it doesn't turn the shrump to mush.

Tags
None