Matelote----Sort Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iberian Peninsula: Purchase via Kilo

Historic Foodie,

Considering, fresh fish is a hell of a lot cheaper than beef or lamb or game ( feathered varieties and hoof varieties ) here.

Scorpio is on sale at 5.90 a kilo ... the regular price for Norwegian salmon is between 8.95 and 9.95 a kilo standard ... Calamar ( squid ) is about 5 Euros a kilo and sometimes less when in season.

Filet of sole on the other hand is on pricey side, as it is caught off southern Ireland, 14 Euros a kilo.

$ 1.33 USD = 1 Euro ( I check monthly, so last time I checked )

Sea Bream called Besugo is expensive due to small catch, about 22 Euros a kilo. Fresh Cod fish is 8 Euros a kilo. Mussels are real cheap in season, they go for 3 Euros a kilo ... Clams 8 to 10 Euros a kilo ... Fresh Sardines are cheap too, 3 to 4 Euros a kilo ...

Grouper or Ma hi Ma hi are both lovely for your soup as it is firm and white ... Grouper runs about 8 to 10 Euros a kilo depending on season.

We do not have Mahi Mahi here ... however, we have Hake which is similar ...

Margi.

Last edited:
@ Bolas: Scorpion Fish: Cabracho

The photo is exactly the same as ur fotos ---
It is in season in Iberian Peninsula at 5.95 Kilo. They call it Cabracho or Scorpion fish in English.

The reason is simple: in southern France it is a delicacy and for Spaniards, it is not ... so in order to sell it, they bring down price.

The other reason is a well known Iberian specialty is: Terrine of Cabracho ... they use it to make terrines and patés. However, I like the white delicate type of flesh it has ...

Thanks for photos.
M.C.

@ Bolas: the photo 34.80 a kilo is correct fish

@ Bolas,

The correct photo is the one with the big price tag of 34.80 per kilo, not the one with the large lip ...

Thanks for photos,
Appreciate the time you take out.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom