"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Senior Cook
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Yer killin' me, here, Margi.

I had originally planned on grouper for the matalote. But it's 17 bucks a pound. Grouper, you know. Not something exotic. Even the mahi mahi, which was on special, cost me $8. But, again, that's per pound, not kilo.

Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Executive Chef
Iberian Peninsula: Purchase via Kilo

Historic Foodie,

Considering, fresh fish is a hell of a lot cheaper than beef or lamb or game ( feathered varieties and hoof varieties ) here.

Scorpio is on sale at 5.90 a kilo ... the regular price for Norwegian salmon is between 8.95 and 9.95 a kilo standard ... Calamar ( squid ) is about 5 Euros a kilo and sometimes less when in season.

Filet of sole on the other hand is on pricey side, as it is caught off southern Ireland, 14 Euros a kilo.

$ 1.33 USD = 1 Euro ( I check monthly, so last time I checked )

Sea Bream called Besugo is expensive due to small catch, about 22 Euros a kilo. Fresh Cod fish is 8 Euros a kilo. Mussels are real cheap in season, they go for 3 Euros a kilo ... Clams 8 to 10 Euros a kilo ... Fresh Sardines are cheap too, 3 to 4 Euros a kilo ...

Grouper or Ma hi Ma hi are both lovely for your soup as it is firm and white ... Grouper runs about 8 to 10 Euros a kilo depending on season.

We do not have Mahi Mahi here ... however, we have Hake which is similar ...

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
Executive Chef
@ Bolas: Scorpion Fish: Cabracho

The photo is exactly the same as ur fotos ---
It is in season in Iberian Peninsula at 5.95 Kilo. They call it Cabracho or Scorpion fish in English.

The reason is simple: in southern France it is a delicacy and for Spaniards, it is not ... so in order to sell it, they bring down price.

The other reason is a well known Iberian specialty is: Terrine of Cabracho ... they use it to make terrines and patés. However, I like the white delicate type of flesh it has ...

Thanks for photos.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Executive Chef
@ Bolas: the photo 34.80 a kilo is correct fish

@ Bolas,

The correct photo is the one with the big price tag of 34.80 per kilo, not the one with the large lip ...

Thanks for photos,
Appreciate the time you take out.

Matelote----Sort Of Matelote is a French fisherman’s stew. Because it originated in an in-land part of France, it is usually made with fresh water fish. Eel is the traditional choice, but, in his Paris journal, Thomas Jefferson says that “catfish, pike, or other fish” can be used. Jefferson really liked catfish, and I have no doubt that was his choice when making this at Monticello. There’s no reason not to use salt water fish, if preferred. I’m making this tonight with mahi-mahi, for instance, because there was a good price on it at the market. MATELOTE (French Fish Stew) 2-3 strips thick-sliced bacon, cut in lardoons 1 cup sliced onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 2 cups pinot noir, burgundy, or any red wine 2 cups fish stock ¼ tbls minced parsley 1 bay leaf ½ tsp thyme ¼ tsp black pepper ¼ tsp allspice Pinch salt 4 tbls butter, divided 1 lb beech mushrooms 1 lb pearl onions, prepped 2 lbs firm fleshed fish Salt & pepper to taste Croutons (optional) for garnish Cut fish into slabs. Fry the bacon in a large saucepan until just browned. Remove from pan and reserve. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until tender. Add the wine, stock, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, allspice and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Liquid will be reduced by about half. While soup is simmering, melt 2 tbls butter in a skillet. Sauté the mushrooms until all liquid evaporates and mushrooms brown up. Remove to a bowl and reserve. Melt remaining butter in same skillet and sauté the pearl onions until patchy brown. Transfer to same bowl as mushrooms. Deglaze skillet with more wine, and add to the simmering stock. 15 minutes before serving, bring soup back to boil. Add the fish and cook, 8-10 minutes until just done. Remove fish to a serving bowl and keep warm. Add the onions and mushrooms into the broth and boil hard about 5 minutes to reduce further and concentrate flavors. Adjust seasonings. Return lardoons to broth and pour over the fish. Option: Garnish each serving with croutons made by cutting bread into small triangles and frying in garlic butter until browned on both sides. Notes: 1. Broth and onion/mushroom mixture can be prepared up to a day ahead and kept in the fridge. Take out an hour before final prep, so they come to room temperature. 2. I use beech mushrooms because I like their flavor. Obviously, any mushrooms can sub. But they should be cut into bite-sized pieces. 3. The bacon amount is a guess. I use slab bacon, and cut off the amount I think I’ll need. 3 stars 1 reviews