"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I am well aware of restocking fish. When I lived on the farm, there is a very old mill in Brewster, Cape Cod. The mill has a wheel and when the fish are spawning up stream, the wheel was shut off when they were restocking the lake above the mill. As kids we were fascinated with the whole process and would go and watch them.

If there were enough fish spawning, you were allowed to go there with a pail and catch one pail full of fish. Otherwise, you couldn't do it. It depended on the fish count in the lake that had been done at an earlier date. And yes, even as old as I am, they were already restocking the depleted supply at that time. Have to keep those fishermen like Chief happy.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Don't confuse hatchery raised fish that are hatched, reared through the early stages of life then released into the wild with farmed fish.
Yup, I'm pretty sure the term is "hatchery", not "farm", when the fish are raised for release into the wild.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie, "farmed fish" are not used for restocking lakes. They are grown in a contained area until big enough for harvest, then processed for retail sales.

Although free swimming, it would be funny if they grew them on vines like zucchini.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Farm versus hatchery - semantics. A hatchery is a farm for fish. Just like you raise cows, goat, sheep, etc on farms. Hatchery is a more specific term for fish that are raised and released, but it's still a farm when you get down to the basics.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Farm versus hatchery - semantics. A hatchery is a farm for fish. Just like you raise cows, goat, sheep, etc on farms. Hatchery is a more specific term for fish that are raised and released, but it's still a farm when you get down to the basics.
Farm versus hatchery. Chicken versus egg.

seˇmanˇtics
/səˈman(t)iks/
noun
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning

Words matter. It's how we communicate. Being precise with language helps prevent misunderstandings.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Farm versus hatchery - semantics.
Ummmm, no. Read previous posts.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #27
Executive Chef

The only difference between a hatchery and a farm is that the fish are released into the wild early on instead of being fattened up and sold for consumption. They start out exactly the same with breeders, spawning, fry, etc. The same fish husbandry principles apply. All hatcheries are farms, but all farms are not just hatcheries.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks like a really started a somewhat heat conversation. Thanks for all the input folks. Makes for interesting reading.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The only difference between a hatchery and a farm is that the fish are released into the wild early on instead of being fattened up and sold for consumption. They start out exactly the same with breeders, spawning, fry, etc. The same fish husbandry principles apply. All hatcheries are farms, but all farms are not just hatcheries.
The purpose of an endeavor is an important difference. In the context of this post, the Chief did not catch a farm-raised trout; it was a hatchery trout.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Skates are related to sharks. I know that when very fresh, the meat is very similar to scallops in both texture and flavor. However, the meat quickly begins to degrade, and develops an ammonia smell and flavor. If I recall from biology class, urine goes through a chemical metamorphosis and becomes ammonia in nature, part of the ammonia cycle.

Craig C, this lends credibility to your statement about sharks. I[ve only heard of people eating shark fins.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
A big seller in China from my understanding.

Tags
extra virgin olive oil, fish, pepper, rainbow trout, recipe, salt

Mildest Fish Those trout I caught last Saturday beckoned to me this morning They were cleaned and ready to cook. I lined a baking pan with aluminum foil, dried the fish, inside and out with paper towels, Drizzled with olive oil, making sure t rub it all over the fish, and lightly seasoned with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Pop the fish into a 425' F. convection oven for 20 minutes. The fish was cooked perfectly. Was so looking forward to my first bit. The texture was great, the fish was very moist and tender, and the flavor was so mild as I cold barely taste it. This was trout that had been recently planted in the lake where I caught them. The flesh was white, rather than the glorious ping/orange of wild trout,and little of that trout flavor that I love. All in all, it was edible. For those that like very mild fish, this would have been perfect, all of the protien, with no fishy flavor. I want some wild brookies, with the fless stained orange by the beta-carotene in the scuds and freshwater shrimp they eat. And I want a new, younger body that will allow me to walk a stream and catch them.:ohmy: Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews