Monk Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedtheewen

Assistant Cook
I grew up in Illinois so most seafood was rather pricey. On special occasions, my parents used to get monk fish and grill it. We joked that it was mock lobster.

I can't find monk fish anywhere these days. Is it expensive now?

I'm sure you can find a fish monger that will pack and ship. Just do a search. I will order a sack of live crawfish from a supplier in LA and have it shipped over night via air freight, for p/u at the airport. We've ordered fresh mushrooms from Oregon Mushrooms and had them FedExed overnight.

Craig

Wow, that seems pricey!
I did a search for fishmongers who ship overnight and I could get a pound of fresh monk fish for about $18.00!

Wow, that seems pricey!
I did a search for fishmongers who ship overnight and I could get a pound of fresh monk fish for about $18.00!

Yup, you are going to pay for seafood that is not local to your area. It is what it is. I only do crawfish about once a season. I've gotten them for $1.99 lb and with freight they end up about $2.99 lb. Way better than the $3.99 or $4.99 the fish market wants and they are buying at the same "local" price.

Craig

tedtheewen said:
Wow, that seems pricey!

Monk fish is also expensive because they have to troll along the bottom of the sea floor to get it. They aren't as plentiful as they used to be due to overfishing, and destroying their habitat with all the trolling. It destroys everything. I've tried monk fish, just to see what the hype was about, and it was great, but the impact on the ocean is too great for me to want to eat it regularly, for any price.

Monkfish used to be considered "trash" fish that was tossed overboard or sold cheap for chowder.

These days, not so much, since it does have a firm texture and a bit of sweetness that mimics a lobster tail.

Since it's caught here you can find it fresh if you look for it.

Wisconsin - Bass, lake trout, catfish, perch of all kind including monster, melt in your mouth Walleye! :clap:

I've never had monk fish, but I've had walleye from Wisconsin and it was great!

(I used to live beside Fox Lake, Illinois, just 7 miles south of the Wisconsin state line. I've done a lot of fishing up there.)

Last edited:
I didn't realize monk fish was now over-fished. Looks like I'll have to stick with lutefisk. Of course, in the grocery stores, I might find some specials on frozen cod. Usually the fish around here is frozen at some point. I can get fresh salmon but once again, the cost becomes a factor.

Forget about price, it is one ugly creature, brrrrrrrrrrr :LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's why they were called Monk Fish. They were thought to be too ugly to taste good so fishermen threw them on the bank to die. Monks would come by and collect them for supper. But, like everything poor folks ate, somebody asked themselves, "what does that taste like?"

I'll add monk fish to the long list of stuff I used to get cheap and ain't cheap no more.

oxtails, turkey wings, briskets, country ribs, etc.

monkfish has been overfished so badly that the only place you can get one is in a monastery...

bah dum dum crash

monkfish has been overfished so badly that the only place you can get one is in a monastery...

bah dum dum crash
:LOL: that is why I eat Bolas De Fraile, I steamed a small whole one once with a lemon in its gullet to keep its mouth open for an ex mother in law, the irony was not lost on her husband.

gosh I wish I could have a go at monk fish. sounds like an ideal practice fish for cowder, before forking out a hefty sum for lobster tail. Fish varieties are limited here in singapore. I've haven't even seen one in real life.

Selkie said:
Wisconsin - Bass, lake trout, catfish, perch of all kind including monster, melt in your mouth Walleye! :clap:

I've never had monk fish, but I've had walleye from Wisconsin and it was great!

(I used to live beside Fox Lake, Illinois, just 7 miles south of the Wisconsin state line. I've done a lot of fishing up there.)

I live in MN and trout and walleye are very popular. Walleye can get mushy quickly, if overcooked, but otherwise it's a really good white fish. Northern pike has great flavor too, but people don't favor it because it has lots of bones. We really like to boil fish and dip it in butter. Any kind of fish- even bass. It shrinks a lot, but it gets very firm, and you can really taste the flavor of the fish.

Monkfish is okay. Unique texture for a fish; holds up even to a fairly long braise. Loin has a great shape. A bit of a hassle to trim the bloodlines. But I rarely see it even at local upscale markets, and it's insanely expensive when I do, so it's like a once in a decade novelty, which doesn't tip the point to its extinction. Its not a seafood I think about much.

:LOL: that is why I eat Bolas De Fraile, I steamed a small whole one once with a lemon in its gullet to keep its mouth open for an ex mother in law, the irony was not lost on her husband.

Bolas, you're such a bad, bad boy!! :devilish::dry: I just had to find a picture of one. :ROFLMAO:

img_980143_0_b591c0f4f5f1d6f4126960c29aae50a2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom