Monkfish with hazelnuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Black

Assistant Cook
I had a fantastic dish the other day which was Monkfish with hazelnuts, crisp green beans and slithers of red pepper. It was dressed with hazelnut oil and dijon mustard. The monkfish was cut into short strips. It was really delicious and I am now tracking down a recipe.

Along similar lines, I am making Sea Bass crusted with macadamia nuts and a citrus beurre blanc for dinner tomorrow. I love nut crusted fish!

Alexa

mish said:
I just went googling & came across this one (Roasted Monkfish with Romesco Sauce). Hope it is close to the recipe you're seeking.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/roasted-monkfish-with-romesco-sauce,863,RC.html

Thanks - its a great looking recipe and I'll give it a try.

Buckytom - it wasn't nut encrusted but I agree it is a great way to cook fish. It was more of a sprinkling of nut fragments.

Not sure I would compare a monkfish to a Carp. In terms of taste - definitely not.

Tilapia is a variety of cichlid species.... many folks keep them as pets in their aquariums.

I went to NYC this past October and for the first time in my entire 34 years had monkfish! It was so incredibly scrumptious! I loved the meatiness of it. And it kind of had a sweet taste to it, which was so lovely. I Have not been able to find it anywhere here in GA. Does anyone know how to get hold of it?

Jenny

Jen, the only time I had it was at a sushi bar.. was not much impressed with it. I would love to try it cooked. Most fish I eat at a sushi bar, I no longer eat cooked, just don't taste right anymore. But I can't help but think I am missing out on something where monkfish is concerned. Jen... your right, quite ugly..... I am always amazed at God's creations.

Monkfish has a firm flesh texture and a sweet flavor - so much like a lobster tail that it is known as "poor man's lobster". The only edible portions are two "tenderloin shaped" pieces from the back (one from either side of the backbone). Yep, it's ugly as all get out, and I wouldn't want to run into one if I was diving, but they sure taste good!

Jenny - assuming that "Bulldog Country" means you live in Athens, GA ... a couple of places you might check (if the guys in the seafood counter at your local grocery store can't get it for you) .... Athens Seafood Company (706-549-3701) or Rainbow Seafood (706-316-3778). It appears that they are within about a block of each other on Baxter Street.

sattie - the best place I know to grab some monkfish near "wa-ta-OOOG-ah" (sorry - family joke) would be either Central Market on Hulen in FtW or WholeFoods in Arlington.

Last edited:
Michael in FTW

Don't mind the jokes.... funny when I tell folks where I live and they are like Wata....what???? I am familiar with both of those places that you mentioned. You happen to know of any resturants that serve monkfish? I eat out alot and not sure that I can ever recall seeing monkfish on the menu... even at some of your "nicer" places.

Back
Top Bottom