Moules au Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I've made this several times and each time I've pretty much used a different liquid. The original recipe calls for creme fraiche, which is good and so is the heavy cream, but my favourite is the coconut milk. Once I had no coriander and used frozen "poppits" - was alright, it got the flavour in but fresh is by far best.

for 2 servings:
1.5 or 2 lb. fresh mussels (scrubbed & debearded as necessary)
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (approx. 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
120 ml creme fraiche (or heavy cream, my small can of coconut milk is 160 ml I used all of it.
3/4 Tbsp. curry powder (or to taste)
1 Tbsp coriander, rough chop (or 4 or 5 frozen poppits)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

Serve on rice or with a fresh baguette.

Heat oil in pan over med-high heat. Cook onion** about 5 minutes (don't let it burn). Add the creme (or milk) and curry powder, bring to a boil then let simmer about 5 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and let cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring at least once during this time. Remove from heat when mussels have opened*. Sprinkle on coriander just before serving.

** original recipe does not call for the sweet potato but I added them at this time - they cooked perfectly, not going mushy.
* I love my glass lids - I can see exactly when they open be it 5 min. or 10, without lifting the lid all the time.

to serve 4, increase the mussels to 3 or 4 lb., double the onion to 1 whole large (or 2 small), creme fraiche or milk does not have to be quite doubled, curry powder up to at least 1 Tbsp (or to taste).

So here we are:
sweet patates "in"
mussels - in yuh go!
done and plated!

Attachments

• DSCN5891.jpg
    DSCN5891.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN5895.jpg
    DSCN5895.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCN5897.jpg