"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Moules au Curry

I've made this several times and each time I've pretty much used a different liquid. The original recipe calls for creme fraiche, which is good and so is the heavy cream, but my favourite is the coconut milk. Once I had no coriander and used frozen "poppits" - was alright, it got the flavour in but fresh is by far best.

for 2 servings:
1.5 or 2 lb. fresh mussels (scrubbed & debearded as necessary)
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (approx. 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
120 ml creme fraiche (or heavy cream, my small can of coconut milk is 160 ml I used all of it.
3/4 Tbsp. curry powder (or to taste)
1 Tbsp coriander, rough chop (or 4 or 5 frozen poppits)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

Serve on rice or with a fresh baguette.

Heat oil in pan over med-high heat. Cook onion** about 5 minutes (don't let it burn). Add the creme (or milk) and curry powder, bring to a boil then let simmer about 5 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and let cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring at least once during this time. Remove from heat when mussels have opened*. Sprinkle on coriander just before serving.

** original recipe does not call for the sweet potato but I added them at this time - they cooked perfectly, not going mushy.
* I love my glass lids - I can see exactly when they open be it 5 min. or 10, without lifting the lid all the time.

to serve 4, increase the mussels to 3 or 4 lb., double the onion to 1 whole large (or 2 small), creme fraiche or milk does not have to be quite doubled, curry powder up to at least 1 Tbsp (or to taste).

Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
Executive Chef

So here we are:
sweet patates "in"
mussels - in yuh go!
done and plated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5891.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	29752   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5895.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	29753  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5897.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	29754   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5898.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	29755  

Tags
curry, mussels, recipe

Moules au Curry I've made this several times and each time I've pretty much used a different liquid. The original recipe calls for creme fraiche, which is good and so is the heavy cream, but my favourite is the coconut milk. Once I had no coriander and used frozen "poppits" - was alright, it got the flavour in but fresh is by far best. for 2 servings: 1.5 or 2 lb. fresh mussels (scrubbed & debearded as necessary) 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (approx. 1/2 - 3/4 cup) 120 ml creme fraiche (or heavy cream, my small can of coconut milk is 160 ml I used all of it. 3/4 Tbsp. curry powder (or to taste) 1 Tbsp coriander, rough chop (or 4 or 5 frozen poppits) 1 Tbsp Olive Oil Serve on rice or with a fresh baguette. Heat oil in pan over med-high heat. Cook onion** about 5 minutes (don't let it burn). Add the creme (or milk) and curry powder, bring to a boil then let simmer about 5 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and let cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring at least once during this time. Remove from heat when mussels have opened*. Sprinkle on coriander just before serving. ** original recipe does not call for the sweet potato but I added them at this time - they cooked perfectly, not going mushy. * I love my glass lids - I can see exactly when they open be it 5 min. or 10, without lifting the lid all the time. to serve 4, increase the mussels to 3 or 4 lb., double the onion to 1 whole large (or 2 small), creme fraiche or milk does not have to be quite doubled, curry powder up to at least 1 Tbsp (or to taste). 3 stars 1 reviews