"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
While we are on the subject of food history, I recently read (pretty sure it was in "Ten Restaurants That Changed America") that jambalaya is an Americanized version of paella.
I believe there were many influences from which jambalaya evolved and I believe it was being prepared before the Louisiana Purchase occurred. Spanish was just one of those influences.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior Cook

According to Wikipedia, a French Provençal dish called JAMBALAIA and the PAELLA from Valencia, were the roots of the Jamalaya before the Louisana Purchase.

It´s Main Ingredients: Shrimp, Sausage, Chicken and Rice.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
According to Wikipedia, a French Provençal dish called JAMBALAIA and the PAELLA from Valencia, were the roots of the Jamalaya before the Louisana Purchase.

It´s Main Ingredients: Shrimp, Sausage, Chicken and Rice.
I believe the name evolved from the creole, which would be of African origins. I don't trust Wikipedia. Gumbo comes from the same origins. The other influences in the dish, that I believe, were French (including Acadian) and Native Americans. There are many recipes for the dish, which were often based on what was at hand at the time. Wild game probably found its way into the jambalaya and gumbo, including rabbit, nutria, squirrel, gator and turtle.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Maybe you should start a new thread to post all this history/info in. I just wanted to post a recipe.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Maybe you should start a new thread to post all this history/info in. I just wanted to post a recipe.
Who is the "you" you are talking to? No sense getting upset about your thread going off topic, it happens all the time.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
including rabbit, nutria, squirrel, gator and turtle.
is that the same animal (within the parameters of geography) as served in Holland as a delicacy?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
is that the same animal (within the parameters of geography) as served in Holland as a delicacy?
I don't know. Does it look like a beaver with a rat tail instead of a paddle like tail and often sports orange teeth?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Paella

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I don't know. Does it look like a beaver with a rat tail instead of a paddle like tail and often sports orange teeth?

I think back in the day the powers that be decided to import nutria from South America to provide meat and fur. Problem is, nobody ate them or made coats from them. So they're now very comfortable here. I think they're rodents.

You may have my portion.

And as is our wont, that has a lot to do with Instant Pot shrimp scampi. We do seem to have a tendency to go off the rails a bit.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Well, I know they are rodents and also called "water rats". Was just wondering if they were the same family as the "water rats" of Holland.

We think of 'rats' as being garbage/sewer/yechy/disgusting eating animals.

In actual fact, supposedly, the "water rats" in Holland, are very clean, living off the vegetation in the canals, with a delicate flavour. Even there, restaurant goers had to get over the stigma associated with the word 'rats'. Once they did, it became very trendy.

Hey, the story I read could have just been an "internet fable", pictures and all, which made it all more believable. But somehow - I think it true. Mehh, it was a long time ago.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Craig C.

Yes, I believe the dish has a variety of indigenious roots as well as the African, colonial French, Native American Indian & a colonial Spanish influence as well.

Should of stated so, above ..

Have a nice day.

Tags
paella, recipe, shrimp

Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Paella [B][U]Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Paella[/U][/B] Makes ≈ 4 - 6 Servings 2 lb. frozen raw shrimp (31 - 40 count), peeled and deveined 1 cup Jasmine Rice 1/4 cup butter (half stick) 1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley 1 tsp. sea salt 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper 1 pinch crushed red pepper or to taste 1 medium lemon, juiced 1 pinch saffron 1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed Add all ingredients to inner pot, add shrimp last it [B]MUST[/B] be on the top. Lock lid and set valve to sealing. Select Manual, high pressure, adjust (+\-) to 5 minutes. (Took 25 minutes to come to pressure) When cook cycle is finished use QR (quick release). When pin drops remove lid. Gently stir. Place scampi on platter and garnish with chopped fresh parsley, fresh grated cheese (Parmesan and Romano) and squeeze of lemon juice. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1507393_0_103c4443823ce5e33658bbb1b221ea81.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews