"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Big Al, I was thinking of stretching that second soak out a bit. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, blatantly, lol. Not moving a'tall.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I can say that I've had mudbugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crawfish3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	11755  

Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Oh, that looks good!!! Nice job!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #34
Master Chef

They look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions. I had "mudbugs" years ago and they had a flat muddy taste. Because I only had them once I am not sure if it was the batch I happened to get or if that is the true taste before all of the seasoning is applied. How were yours?

Did you share them with the chickens?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Did you like them, Pac?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
They look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions. I had "mudbugs" years ago and they had a flat muddy taste. Because I only had them once I am not sure if it was the batch I happened to get or if that is the true taste before all of the seasoning is applied. How were yours?

Did you share them with the chickens?
Bea, I'm sure Pacanis will answer, but from my experience, yes, crawdads can taste muddy, but that's primarily due to the season they're collected, just like catfish. The colder the weather, the better they taste. Also, they may reassemble shrimp, but the flavor is entirely different. Spicing seasoning masks any "off" flavor. Old Bay with a healthy dose of cayenne pepper is often used.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. I think they came out pretty good, and the veggies were done just right, too.

They were good but... I won't be cooking them again. Too much work for too little return. The tips of my thumbs are still sore. Give me a clambake anyday over a crawfish boil.
You've got these nice big bodies and these little tails... with a very hard shell... Quite a bit different than peal and eat shrimp. I was getting good at it, but it's still a little work and they cooled off quickly.
No muddy taste that I noticed, but I also sprinkled cajun seasoning on them, as you can see. There was a marine kind of smell, which I didn't expect. That did not seem to affect the taste though. They didn't taste fishy.
And I've got a lot left over. One of the vids I saw said to figure 5-6 lbs/person. And I'm a big eater, but the amount left over from the first batch even told me that I was getting bored eating them. I found myself gravitating towards the other stuff, the sausage and veggies.

So, I'm glad I made them. I would eat them at a party. I would not place an order for 10 lbs again, lol.

And no, none for my hens. Surprisingly, one of my dogs stayed outside with me while I was eating and even she didn't eat one... and she LOVES shrimp... I found that odd.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #38
Master Chef

Back in the days long gone, we used to catch them by the bucket full. I do not know why, but they were really big, more like a lobster rather than the scrawny ones you see in the store. We'd simply boil them with some salt and lots of dill and then enjoy with some cold beer. Nothing goes better together on a hot summer day. The amount of calories you get from diner like that ... I don't believe you need any sides or vegies or anything else.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Well, I can say that I've had mudbugs.
That is a gorgeous picture! If I owned a restaurant that served crayfish I'd be pestering you to let me use that photo for advertising (for pay of course :) ). Seriously, magazine worthy.

Hmm, from the sounds of it, it would be a fun meal to eat with others since you could chat and such and take your mind off of the work of eating.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Purple.

Yes, exactly. It's a fun type of meal. Something to be enjoyed in the company of others. Not that I don't enjoy food all by myself, but I'd say it is more like a party food. I can't imagine those guys that said they go through 5-6 lbs each though, even standing around partying. That's a lot of peeling. Give me a nice big plate with opened mussels and clams and one nice sized lobster.

Tags
recipe

Mudbugs The countdown starts. Crayfish to me as a child, lifting rocks in the creek and catching them for no purpose other than to say I did, keeping them for a few days and then walking them back down to the creek and dumping them back in. Later I learned they were also called crawfish. Probably a dialect thing :angel: And later yet... mudbugs. Mudbugs? Yes, mud[B]bugs[/B]...:ermm: No matter, those [B]bugs[/B] got some nice tail! And they look just like miniature [B]lobsters!!![/B] :chef: So being foodies we all like to try a new recipe that catches our eye. And we all like to try new food... within reason. You know me and weird veggies :wink: And a new dining experience usually leaves a lasting impression. So the countdown begins until Wednesday when I can tie all of these things together. I just placed an order for 10 lbs of mudbugs! :smile: Armed with a couple TV shows under my belt, along with some youtube vids, most of with are pathetic, the supplier's website instructions, and anything offered in this thread... hint, hint, hint, Wednesday you all know what I'll be having for dinner. 3 stars 1 reviews