"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks. I think they came out pretty good, and the veggies were done just right, too.

They were good but... I won't be cooking them again. Too much work for too little return. The tips of my thumbs are still sore. Give me a clambake anyday over a crawfish boil.
You've got these nice big bodies and these little tails... with a very hard shell... Quite a bit different than peal and eat shrimp. I was getting good at it, but it's still a little work and they cooled off quickly.
No muddy taste that I noticed, but I also sprinkled cajun seasoning on them, as you can see. There was a marine kind of smell, which I didn't expect. That did not seem to affect the taste though. They didn't taste fishy.
And I've got a lot left over. One of the vids I saw said to figure 5-6 lbs/person. And I'm a big eater, but the amount left over from the first batch even told me that I was getting bored eating them. I found myself gravitating towards the other stuff, the sausage and veggies.

So, I'm glad I made them. I would eat them at a party. I would not place an order for 10 lbs again, lol.

And no, none for my hens. Surprisingly, one of my dogs stayed outside with me while I was eating and even she didn't eat one... and she LOVES shrimp... I found that odd.
It's like eating blue crab, comes with a self pacing system. All that work makes you thirsty, which allows you to drink more beer!

Craig

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm really lucky to be living in New Orleans where I can buy a bag of cooked, frozen, shelled crawfish tails for about $5.

I can deal will shelling shrimp if I have to, but mudbug shells are hard.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

[QUOTE="Zhizara"]I'm really lucky to be living in New Orleans where I can buy a bag of cooked, frozen, shelled crawfish tails for about $5.
d.[QUOTE]

Oh, just stop it! (jealous). Along with all the other fantastic dishes!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #44
Sous Chef

Poor Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
From here Craig
tomorrow I hope to be purging them
I hate to watch them being purged. But I do like eating them.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm really lucky to be living in New Orleans where I can buy a bag of cooked, frozen, shelled crawfish tails for about $5.

I can deal will shelling shrimp if I have to, but mudbug shells are hard.
I should drive up there and buy some. They make a fantastic gumbo.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #46
Head Chef

They make good Gumbo!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
They make good Gumbo!
I want summa that! Yum City!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #48
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I should drive up there and buy some. They make a fantastic gumbo.
....or etouffee!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
They make good Gumbo!
Is that a softshell or hard shell blue crab?

Craig
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #50
Sous Chef

Crawdads now we're speaking my language!
Sure you can do a bajillion different things with them, but for me and all the ways I've had them, you still can't beat the traditional boiled.
But they are so good fried too. I mean, really really really good.
You can make a mean sauce with crawdads.
Eggs Benedict with crawdad hollandaise, oh man.
I'll take crawdads any time, anywhere.
I'm like Bubba from Forest Gump with crawdads.
I've developed a system for peeling them that is perfect. It cannot be better I promise. The idea is that being arthropods (segmented bodies) we can take advantage of them being in sections. I will do my best to explain it. These directions are for right-handed folks.
First separate the thorax from the abdomen (body from tail) by pinching at the base of the thorax right before the abdomen with the left index finger and thumb. Using your right hand, twist the abdomen away from the thorax and suck the liquid from the thorax. This is the best part.
Then at the other end what you do is pinch the tail at the point where it fans out, like at the very tip of the abdomen. This is where the meat attaches to the tail, very much like the tail of a shrimp (If you've ever gotten shrimp at a restaurant with the tail attached and had to remove it, this is the same principle). Twist the very tip of the tail off. Now the meat inside the tail is free, you just have to pull the shell off which is very easy: At the end that connected to the thorax, you can peel off a section or two in an unwrapping-like motion. You shouldn't need to remove more than a section or two before the meat can easily be pulled out. Sometimes this step isn't necessary, depending on how much meat is in the tail. It will easily come out after that. I can go through huge numbers of crawdads in no time, as it takes about 10 seconds per crawdad to do this with no waste.

Tags
recipe

Mudbugs The countdown starts. Crayfish to me as a child, lifting rocks in the creek and catching them for no purpose other than to say I did, keeping them for a few days and then walking them back down to the creek and dumping them back in. Later I learned they were also called crawfish. Probably a dialect thing :angel: And later yet... mudbugs. Mudbugs? Yes, mud[B]bugs[/B]...:ermm: No matter, those [B]bugs[/B] got some nice tail! And they look just like miniature [B]lobsters!!![/B] :chef: So being foodies we all like to try a new recipe that catches our eye. And we all like to try new food... within reason. You know me and weird veggies :wink: And a new dining experience usually leaves a lasting impression. So the countdown begins until Wednesday when I can tie all of these things together. I just placed an order for 10 lbs of mudbugs! :smile: Armed with a couple TV shows under my belt, along with some youtube vids, most of with are pathetic, the supplier's website instructions, and anything offered in this thread... hint, hint, hint, Wednesday you all know what I'll be having for dinner. 3 stars 1 reviews