Mussels with Fennel, Tomatoes, Ouzo & Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
This has been a hit every time I've made it. Best served with Crusty Bread but a nice clumpy Jasmine rice is what I choose when I'm alone. By clumpy I mean sticky but not "Sticky Rice''.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 large tomato, cubed
1/2 cup white wine (optional Mushroom or Vegie Broth)
1/4 cup ouzo (optional Pernod or similar)
1/2 cup heavy creme (35%)
4 lbs mussels, cleaned
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, lightly torn
salt to taste

Method:
Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. I use a deep straight-sided saute pan with a lid. Stir in the shallots and garlic first, cook until tender. Add in the fennel and tomato and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
Mix your white wine, ouzo and heavy cream into the pan and bring to a boil. Dump in the mussels, 1/2 of the basil and salt.
Cover saucepan and turn down the heat once the sauce has come back to a boil (doesn't take long). Once they start to open give it a quick stir to mix them up. Cover, continue cooking till all the mussels have opened. Only takes about 5 to 10 min.
Garnish with remaining basil to serve.

1. If using white wine be sure to use the heavy creme - it is less liable to 'break'.
2. I really like using the mushroom broth vs the white wine. A little more 'depth' to the over all flavour.
Tip:
When finished cooking should there be any mussels not open - throw them back in the pan for another 5 min. or so. If after that they still haven't opened throw them out. But I think you'll be surprised that they have opened and they are just fine!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom