"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Master Chef

An off topic question. I did not think refreezing fish was a problem. Or so I was told. Am I wrong, is fish is as bad as meat?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Sous Chef

i actually find fish easier to cook for 1... its so dang expensive just one portion means I can buy quality... my biggest problem with fish is shopping for it most of the quality fish markets are a bit out of the way of have bad hours. Someone just opened up a fancy eco sensitive fishmarket that I pass on my way home though so I am going to have to check it out... I will guess its expensive but it would be convenient.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Refreezing previously frozen & thawed raw fish results in something that I would not want to eat - poor flavor, mushy texture, yuck all round.
I have had good results with firm white fish and salmon. If the fish looks real good at the store, I'll buy a bunch and freeze the filets or whatever seperately.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreit View Post
Fish is great, I really enjoy eating it. But there's a reason I don't make it.

Everyone knows it is really hard to cook for 1. I plan for 3 or 4 days of food when I cook. And this is why I don't make it. Fish doesn't seem to re-warm very well. At least this is my experience.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how fish can be re-warmed?
Who is the "Everyone" who knows it is hard to cook for one? I do it all the time. At least 4 times a week. Fish is just about the easiest thing to fix for one. you just buy ONE fillet! Sprinkle it with some herbs, salt and pepper, and toss it into a hot skillet. Voila! You can make a little sauce with a dab of white wine, or cream, or both.... or enjoy it plain, or with a topping of a fruit vinegar, for a nonfat taste treat. A fish fillet takes no more than a couple of minutes to be cooked perfectly. Maybe 8 minutes if you're fixing a thick fillet like cod.

Fish doesn't reheat well, because it is so easily overcooked. So why reheat it?" just cook as many fillets as you think you'll eat for the one meal.

I think leftover fish fillets make great sandwiches for lunch the next day.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Leftover fish? Chowder, croquettes, stirfry, pilaf, gumbo...I also cook for one, and like fish. Leftover fish with red bell pepper and artichoke heart or asparagus is nice in an omelet or a fritatta. I've even used leftover fish on my pesto and goat cheese pizza.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
An off topic question. I did not think refreezing fish was a problem. Or so I was told. Am I wrong, is fish is as bad as meat?
I formerly owned a large seafood restaurant in Florida and have a lot of experience handling and storing seafood. Theoretically, home re-freezing of FAS (frozen at sea) or other commercially flash frozen seafood (such as tilapia or farm-raised catfish) shouldn't be a problem. It's flash frozen very soon after being caught and is probably "fresher" than most "never frozen" fresh fish you'll find in the typical supermarket.

However, the potential problem occurs at the retail level. To preserve freshness and inhibit growth of bacteria, the flash-frozen fish much be defrosted and kept at temperatures below 40 degrees (preferably as close to 32 degrees as possible) at all times, and must be kept by the consumer at these temperatures as well until cooked or re-frozen.

If you are going to portion and freeze it, it should be done as soon as possible.

The single best test for freshness is the nose test. If it smelly fishy, it's not fresh. Also, I personally never buy seafood from any market that smells overly fishy. This is a sure sign of lax sanitation and/or improper food handling standards.

There are some great factsheets from the University of Delaware Sea Grant Program: Untitled Document. I highly recommend them.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Master Chef

My personal experience has been that refreezing previously frozen fish does immeasurable damage to the texture - especially mild white fish filets like sole, etc. They turn to mush. The only way I'd use them this way would be in a chowder or something like that.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
Cook

I freeze fish maximum for 2 days.. Later they won't remain fresh. So its better to purchase only the amount we can eat within 2 days.

jennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyhill View Post
I freeze fish maximum for 2 days.. Later they won't remain fresh. So its better to purchase only the amount we can eat within 2 days.
Sorry, Jenny, but I respectfully disagree with 2 day freezing. Obviously, it's better to buy only what you need and not refreeze at all, but whatever damage is done to the texture and fresh flavor by refreezing occurs in the freezing and defrosting process, not by the time spent in the freezer (within limits). If the fish is properly wrapped and frozen, there will be no detectable loss of quality for several weeks.

I always try to use frozen fish as soon as possible, and certainly within a month or two, but freezing fish for a day or two just doesn't make sense in my opinion because it will inevitably loose SOME quality by being frozen and defrosted.

If you are going to use the fish within a couple or three days, it's much better to store it unfrozen in your refrigerator, in sealed ziplock bags placed in a container of ice to keep the temperature close to 32 degrees.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Master Chef

I fully agree with FincaPerlitas here. There's absolutely no logical reason to freeze fish for 2 days. If you're going to consume the fish within 48 hours, just keep it wrapped on ice (or ice packs) in your fridge. The taste & texture will be MUCH better than if you froze & defrosted it.

Tags
None