"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Left over fried Catfish at my house is turned into fish Tacos --The next day ---or the next ---Re-heated on a cast iron griddle. Sometimes eaten cold with a good cup of hot coffee.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #22
Master Chef

Believe it or not - in my younger (thinner & prettier - lol) days, I melted several male hearts with my signature breakfast "Fish & Eggs".

This consisted of fish (cod being first choice; flounder second) sauteed/poached in an absolutely obscene amount of butter along with eggs fried/poached in the same pan. Even the pickiest male companions, after complaining about how awful the dish sounded, were won over after the first mouthful.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Believe it or not - in my younger (thinner & prettier - lol) days, I melted several male hearts with my signature breakfast "Fish & Eggs".

This consisted of fish (cod being first choice; flounder second) sauteed/poached in an absolutely obscene amount of butter along with eggs fried/poached in the same pan. Even the pickiest male companions, after complaining about how awful the dish sounded, were won over after the first mouthful.
Melts my heart now -- Regardless of what "days" you are in!!
Would ya be willin to try catfish.????

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #24
Master Chef

Lol! These days I HAVE used catfish for my "Fish & Eggs" breakfasts.

However back in the '70's, it wasn't a regular choice in Long Island seaside fish markets.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
One of my favorite breakfasts is sauteed trout and eggs (served almost any way, but generally scrambled).

I think I could eat fresh trout several times a week.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Decisions, Decisions! Do I eat breakfast Saturday Morning with Miss Breezy or Miss June???....

Wait!!! An early breakfast with Miss Breezy in Virginny...Then a Brunch in New York with Miss June!!!

Ta Daaaaaaaaaaa!! That's the ticket!!!

See Y'all then!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Who is the "Everyone" who knows it is hard to cook for one?

I think leftover fish fillets make great sandwiches for lunch the next day.
You took the question right out of my mouth! I've lived alone for 3 years and have NEVER had a problem cooking for one. I love leftovers so I make double batches of whatever I can. As for fish, just make one piece or one filet. I always make two pieces of salmon because I love it leftover in a salad the next day. If you want to rewarm fish, just drop it in a baggie and microwave it for about 60 seconds. It will heat without losing moisture. I don't see any problem. And UncleBob's fish taco idea is a great one. You can do a lot with leftover fish, google "leftover fish recipes" and see for yourself. OR just make one piece.
BTW, in Vegas, salmon comes in fresh everywhere so there is no reason not to freeze it. I buy several pieces and freeze 2 at time. Check with your market to find out if your salmon is coming in fresh. Most other fish comes in frozen.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #28
Master Chef

I agree with cooking for one - I LOVE IT!!!!!! I frolic with glee when hubby has something going on that has him dining out & me in. I marinate a steak, or lamb, or pork, or even goat. Make a curry. Saute chicken livers (which he hates) in butter, white wine, & lemon juice. Have shad roe (in season) or something else that would be extravagant if not for just one person. Can make dinner whenever I want, instead of based on his schedule; can make it whatever veggies I like; so friggin easy & geared specifically for ME. Frankly, while I love & adore my husband & love cooking for him, cooking for myself alone would definitely NEVER be a hardship.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #29
Head Chef

I also enjoy cooking for one. I can cook whatever I want, when I want, how I want. I either cook a large quantity for freezing, or cook in individual servings. The most difficult chore in cooking for me would be to cook for a family, each with different tastes and each at a different time. These are the real cooks. IMO.
As far as frozen fish for one. Nothing says that you have to buy thawed fish. I ask for frozen, generally you will get it in individual servings. Fish, especially shellfish is generally flash frozen on the boat.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #30
Master Chef

this is not the time to be reading this post......I'm starving and the thought of fried catfish with red sauce is just sending me thru the roof........brought some leftover fried catfish last week ...resurrected them the next day using the pizza stone heated in the oven to 400 degrees... absolutely delicious.......and crispy as ever.......I just love that pizza stone...........

Tags
None