My frustration with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Left over fried Catfish at my house is turned into fish Tacos --The next day ---or the next ---Re-heated on a cast iron griddle. Sometimes eaten cold with a good cup of hot coffee.

Believe it or not - in my younger (thinner & prettier - lol) days, I melted several male hearts with my signature breakfast "Fish & Eggs".

This consisted of fish (cod being first choice; flounder second) sauteed/poached in an absolutely obscene amount of butter along with eggs fried/poached in the same pan. Even the pickiest male companions, after complaining about how awful the dish sounded, were won over after the first mouthful.

Believe it or not - in my younger (thinner & prettier - lol) days, I melted several male hearts with my signature breakfast "Fish & Eggs".

This consisted of fish (cod being first choice; flounder second) sauteed/poached in an absolutely obscene amount of butter along with eggs fried/poached in the same pan. Even the pickiest male companions, after complaining about how awful the dish sounded, were won over after the first mouthful.

Melts my heart now -- Regardless of what "days" you are in!!
Would ya be willin to try catfish.????:ermm:

Lol! These days I HAVE used catfish for my "Fish & Eggs" breakfasts.

However back in the '70's, it wasn't a regular choice in Long Island seaside fish markets.

One of my favorite breakfasts is sauteed trout and eggs (served almost any way, but generally scrambled).

I think I could eat fresh trout several times a week. :pig:

Decisions, Decisions! Do I eat breakfast Saturday Morning with Miss Breezy or Miss June???....:ermm:

Wait!!! An early breakfast with Miss Breezy in Virginny...Then a Brunch in New York with Miss June!!!

Ta Daaaaaaaaaaa!! That's the ticket!!!

See Y'all then!!! :)

Who is the "Everyone" who knows it is hard to cook for one?

I think leftover fish fillets make great sandwiches for lunch the next day.

You took the question right out of my mouth! I've lived alone for 3 years and have NEVER had a problem cooking for one. I love leftovers so I make double batches of whatever I can. As for fish, just make one piece or one filet. I always make two pieces of salmon because I love it leftover in a salad the next day. If you want to rewarm fish, just drop it in a baggie and microwave it for about 60 seconds. It will heat without losing moisture. I don't see any problem. And UncleBob's fish taco idea is a great one. You can do a lot with leftover fish, google "leftover fish recipes" and see for yourself. OR just make one piece.
BTW, in Vegas, salmon comes in fresh everywhere so there is no reason not to freeze it. I buy several pieces and freeze 2 at time. Check with your market to find out if your salmon is coming in fresh. Most other fish comes in frozen.

I agree with cooking for one - I LOVE IT!!!!!! I frolic with glee when hubby has something going on that has him dining out & me in. I marinate a steak, or lamb, or pork, or even goat. Make a curry. Saute chicken livers (which he hates) in butter, white wine, & lemon juice. Have shad roe (in season) or something else that would be extravagant if not for just one person. Can make dinner whenever I want, instead of based on his schedule; can make it whatever veggies I like; so friggin easy & geared specifically for ME.:chef: Frankly, while I love & adore my husband & love cooking for him, cooking for myself alone would definitely NEVER be a hardship.

I also enjoy cooking for one. I can cook whatever I want, when I want, how I want. I either cook a large quantity for freezing, or cook in individual servings. The most difficult chore in cooking for me would be to cook for a family, each with different tastes and each at a different time. These are the real cooks. IMO.
As far as frozen fish for one. Nothing says that you have to buy thawed fish. I ask for frozen, generally you will get it in individual servings. Fish, especially shellfish is generally flash frozen on the boat.

this is not the time to be reading this post......I'm starving and the thought of fried catfish with red sauce is just sending me thru the roof........brought some leftover fried catfish last week ...resurrected them the next day using the pizza stone heated in the oven to 400 degrees... absolutely delicious.......and crispy as ever.......I just love that pizza stone...........

this is not the time to be reading this post......I'm starving and the thought of fried catfish with red sauce is just sending me thru the roof........brought some leftover fried catfish last week ...resurrected them the next day using the pizza stone heated in the oven to 400 degrees... absolutely delicious.......and crispy as ever.......I just love that pizza stone...........

Miss Deborah...Are ya tryin to steal my heart?? I just love fried catfish!!!!
Fresh and resurrected!!! ;)

I wished I had known this when I was younger,thinner and more handsome.

Like June, I really do like left over fish sandwiches for lunch the next day

I don't know why you feel it's hard to cook fish.

When I cook fillets I often wrap them in tin foil - put on a bit of
soy sauce - and bake @350 for about 20 min. depending on the thickness of the fillet.
Test for doneness and put back in oven if not cooked.
Reheat in microwave or steam them.

When I make poached salmon, I always plan for leftovers because I like to flake the leftover and mix it with leftover tarragon sauce to make a salmon salad. Great on a roll with lettuce or on crackers as an appetizer or snack.

Ooooh - there is nothing like leftover seafood of any type mixed with a bit of tarragon-spiked mayonnaise & either served on a lettuce-lined sandwich or plopped on top of some mixed greens!!

Yesterday when I passed the fish counter at WFM, they had (previously frozen) wild gulf shrimp -- very large 16-20's at $11.99 per pound. I couldn't resist them.

Last evening I boiled up a pot (3-quart) of water, added about 1 1/2 teaspoons of Pop's Creole Seasoning and dumped in the pound of shrimp. Put on the lid and turned off the heat. Set the timer for 5 minutes. That's right -- no more! and whipped up a bowl of tarragon mustard/mayo for a dip.

When the timer rang, I dumped the shrimp into a strainer and then into a bowl. Set another bowl on the table for the shells. We finished those babies in record time. They were just perfect. made me very VERY happy! :chef:

Moral of the story -- DON'T boil shrimp! that's how to make pink rubber bands. :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom