"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
My frustration with fish

Fish is great, I really enjoy eating it. But there's a reason I don't make it.

Everyone knows it is really hard to cook for 1. I plan for 3 or 4 days of food when I cook. And this is why I don't make it. Fish doesn't seem to re-warm very well. At least this is my experience.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how fish can be re-warmed?

kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Master Chef
Don't know about warming them back up, but it does sound like you could benefit from a Food Saver. Then you could separate out any meats you have into individual portions and freeze the ones you don't need right away.
As for warming, I have found the oven seems to do the best on cold meats you want to re-heat. I set it to 250 and let it warm up gradually, hoping it doesn't dry out in the process, LOL.

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Obviously, this would depend on your taste, but, I use leftover fish as snack food.

Other than that the foodsaver and pre portioning is a good idea.

I kind of like the handivac for this use though. I portion the food and put freezer between the portions. I can then open the bag, take out a portion, or portions, reclose and refreze.
One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Master Chef
When you shop for your 4-5 days of planned meals, why can't you simply buy a single portion of fresh fish? No leftovers to worry about.

And if/when you do have leftovers, even the thinnest fish filets reheats beautifully without drying out in the microwave.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Master Chef
I agree with Mav on the fish..... buy what you like, cut into portion sizes or seal single fillets, and cook for dinner. No need to reheat! :)

Rewarmed fish IMO is just really not worth it. And if you have to rewarm it, I would think wrapping it in foil and tossing in a 350 oven for a bit would work.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
I cooked two orange roughy filets just this past summer, instead of the usual one. After asking the same thing here that you did, because I have never reheated fish, the second one did indeed heat up just fine in the microwave, on a dinner plate covered with plastic wrap that I poked a couple holes in. I should mention though that these filets were grilled, not breaded. And orange roughy has a pretty good texture to it anyway. If your fish is breaded you might want to use the oven.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Master Chef
if you want to reheat fish, pizza, and meats--even french fries to bring back crispiness, heat your oven and baking stone to 400-425 F (have the stone on the bottom rack and place these items on the heated up stone and bake for about 3-7 minutes--just check as it doesn't take long) far better than using the microwave which tends ( at least for pizza) to make them mushy......well, it works for me.....
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Buy smaller pieces or smaller fish like trout and freeze what you don't use right away. Larger filets can be cut into single portions, wrapped and frozen seperately.

Plan ahead and defrost them in the fridge overnight. I usually cook for two, and fish is the absolute easiest to prepare. Thae hardest thing is coming up with a side dish.

If you like shrimp, I found those large frozen shrimp bags very convienient. For one, I can find US Gulf shrimp frozen. Take what you need from the bag and close it back up. Shrimp defrost in no time under cold running water. Saute a few in garlic oil for a quick and tasty compliment to a steak.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Master Chef
One thing that's extremely important to keep in mind is that you can't just arbitrarily freeze fish unless you know for sure that it wasn't frozen before. Many MANY varieties of fish these days are cleaned & flash-frozen on board ship, & then thawed before being placed in seafood display cases. Even if the sign says "fresh", always ask to see if, in fact, the fish has been frozen before.

Refreezing previously frozen & thawed raw fish results in something that I would not want to eat - poor flavor, mushy texture, yuck all round.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Master Chef
I don't see what the problem is with making just one piece of fissh. it cooks so fast it is almost as much time to warm up something as to cook a single serving of fish.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote