"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
ironchef,

This basa did not taste at all like catfish. I don't care for catfish at all. I asked for a mild tasting fish that could be fried or baked, and this was the one the butcher recommended.

Raine,

I wanted you to know that I cooked the basa using a combination of two of the recipes you posted above. Of course, I added some extras to the stuffing mixture. It was delicious! My husband and I thought we were eating out at a fancy seafood restaurant. :D Thanks.

Dina

Old 06-08-2004, 02:07 AM   #12
Executive Chef

that's because it's not farm raised. it's like the difference between farm raised salmon, and salmon caught in the wild.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Dina,

Glad to hear the recipes worked for you.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

ironchef,

Thanks for the info. I'd like to know which other fish has a mild taste also. I've tried flounder, cod and haddock.

Dina
Old 06-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Another mild fish is tilapia.

Pecan-Crusted Tilapia with Orange-Brown Butter

1 Egg
1/4 Cup pecans, finely chopped
2 Tilapia filets (4-6 oz)
1 T Vegetable oil
2 T Unsalted butter
1 T diced shallot
Juice of 1 orange

1. Beat egg in shallow dish. Dip filet in egg and then into chopped nuts, pressing gently so they adhere.

2. Sauté nut side down in the vegetable oil on med-high heat for about 4 minutes, turn over and cook another 4 minutes and remove to plate.

Remove most of any nuts left in pan and add butter to hot pan. Cook 1-2 minutes until butter begins to brown, then add shallots and cook 1 minute more. Add orange juice, bring to a boil and cook 1 minute more. Spoon over fish.
Serve over lentils or rice with your favorite veggies.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
One way I like it is to heat up your grill (if gas, otherwise just do it in your oven). Make a mixture out of an Italian spice mixture (regular size jar/bottle), a packet of dry Italian dressing mix, and olive oil. Start by using about 1/2 bottle of Italian spice mixture and about 1/2 of the dry dressing mix and enough olive oil to make a thinnish paste. You want it fairly flavorful from the dressing mixture so you might need to add more (you want that salt thing going on).

Rub on basa, both sides. Place 1/2 sheet pan or 1/4 sheet pan depending on what fits on your grill or in your oven (and how much fish you've got) to preheat. Once heated place your filets on pan. No need to turn - just cook (lid closed on grill) for about 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness - just test for doneness).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:25 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I did try tilapia once. I should start buying that too cause I can find that easily here. Thanks for the tip, Raine.

Kitchenelf,

That sounds yummy too. I'll have to start using my grill more often so I can get that smokey flavor in my seafood. Thank you too.

Dina
Old 06-09-2004, 12:32 AM   #18
Everymom

Dina, sole and pickerel (or walleye, or pike) are nice mild flavoured fish too. Have you done the garlic butter thing when the filets are still slightly frozen? Melt butter and smash a clove of garlic into the butter. Brush onto the frozen filets. Butter will immediately harden. Bake in the oven until fish flakes easily. I especially like this with cod. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:46 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks Alix. I believe I've made it your way too and it's GOOD. I just wanted to stuff it with some shrimp mixture this time. Thank you much.

Dina :D
Old 06-10-2004, 12:15 PM   #20
Everymom

Heehee! Couldn't remember if I told you about that or not...good memory...just short!

Tags
None