Need a simple recipe for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how about some ideas for steaming fish (prep, herbs, etc)? I keep meaning to try that with my bamboo steamer and then remember that I have no clue what to do first.

For steaming fish, I like to choose very white fillets, and salt and (white) pepper them lightly.

I line my steamer with lettuce leaves, and sprinkle slivers of fresh ginger and garlic over them. Place the fillets on the prepped lettuce leaves and steam for about 8 minutes (more if the fillets are very thick). Remove the fish from the steamer and let sit on warmed plates for a couple of minutes. Serve with rice and sauteed bok choy with just a dab of tamari or oyster sauce. It's a great meal for after the holidays when you're feeling STUFFED :pig:!

I use basically the same method as June, except I use cabbage leaves instead of lettuce leaves - Chinese Cabbage if I have it on hand. I find cabbage is a LOT sturdier than lettuce, which just seems to melt/disintegrate into my bamboo steamer after just a minute or two. The cabbage is much easier to cook on, & I use it as a base for nearly all my steamed dishes, including dim sum.

how about some ideas for steaming fish (prep, herbs, etc)? I keep meaning to try that with my bamboo steamer and then remember that I have no clue what to do first.

Chinese often steam whole fish (head on bones in)
They place the fish on an appropriate sized dish and
put some scallions, oil, soy sauce etc over the fish,
the dish is suspended over boiling water in a large wok (they sell
a steel 'stand' for suspending the dish - a coffee cup or two could
substitute) - wok is covered, fish is steamed till it flakes.

I've made trout, sea bass and flounder using this method - worked fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom