"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Need a simple recipe for fish

It can't have mustard or wine in it just simple ,I had a recipe few herbs and spices and made a pocket with foil , for the life of me I can't find itAny ideashave a great day !!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A pouch is a good way to go. You can add whatever you like.

Add some chopped scallions or a shallot and some sliced garlic. For liquid, add some stock or broth and a sprig or sprinkle of dill. If you don't have or like dill, try something else.

For a different choice, try some ginger and soy sauce. Or try some sliced tomato and basil.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

If you have a good piece of fish, one of the simplest, and one of my favorite preparations, is to coat it with mayonaise, add a little pepper and/or lemon, and grill it. The mayonaise keeps the fish from drying out and adds flavor. Don't overcook fish.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I really dont like fish but maybe it depends how it cook. until now no one can capture my taste for fishes.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Master Chef

For white fish filets like sole, flounder, tilapia, catfish, etc., I second Bigjim68's mayonnaise treatment. It's a favorite around here.

For salmon simplicity I like either dotting with butter, chopped fresh dill, & thin lemon slices before baking; or coating in a teriyaki-style sauce.

For darker-fleshed fish like bluefish, mackerel, striped bass, I like a simple "Greek" prep by topping with olive oil, diced tomatoes, oregano, thinly sliced red onion, & feta cheese before baking.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Spray (with Pam) a small Pyrex dish...Lay the fish in the dish...Brush on Olive oil/butter...add any herbs or spices you like....Place the dish in a 350 oven until done...Squeeze on some lemon juice if you like....Another option -- add chopped vegetables (Green onion, parsley, bell pepper, celery etc on top of the fish. When the fish is almost done...lay some seasoned shrimp on top of the fish...

Be Creative and Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
For darker-fleshed fish like bluefish, mackerel, striped bass, I like a simple "Greek" prep by topping with olive oil, diced tomatoes, oregano, thinly sliced red onion, & feta cheese before baking.
^^
This is hard to beat.

Although, if you have a grill (or even just a broiler), the best thing can sometimes just be fish + olive oil + sea salt. I do this with whole fresh sardines 10 at a time and they're *stupid* good. It also works with mackerel, rockfish, saury/sanma, and plenty of others.

I need a good "en papillote" fish recipe, preferably something that works well with salmon and doesn't require wine (not that I don't love wine, I just don't always have it open and ready to cook with).
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Master Chef

We just cooked flounder fillets last night. They were too thin for grilling, so we poached them in chicken broth with a little butter, S&P, garlic, thin lemon slices and fresh chopped Italian parsley.
We had fresh asparagus from the garden, and we prepared it the same way, also adding a small can of whole new potatoes.

It was scrumptious!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
I really like to put a miso glaze on whitefish of some sort and then bake it off in the oven with some sesame seeds on top, accompanied either by steamed vegetables or the same vegetables in a seafood broth. Really good!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Spray (with Pam) a small Pyrex dish...Lay the fish in the dish...Brush on Olive oil/butter...add any herbs or spices you like....Place the dish in a 350 oven until done...Squeeze on some lemon juice if you like....Another option -- add chopped vegetables (Green onion, parsley, bell pepper, celery etc on top of the fish. When the fish is almost done...lay some seasoned shrimp on top of the fish...

Be Creative and Have Fun!
I'm with UB - most white fish have a very subtle, delicate
flavor and I try to do as little as possible when cooking.
I usually bake them in a tin-foil pouch after dotting them
with Olive Oil, salt and pepper and sometimes Soy Sauc.

Tags
None