Need advice about preparing clams in advance ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put them in a bowl of cool, salted water overnight and stirred them every so often. It seemed to work.
What is the salt to water ratio you use? Do you add cornmeal?
My fridge is 36°F, is that ok?

Last edited:
I put them in a bowl of cool, salted water overnight and stirred them every so often. It seemed to work.

It does, though not as well or as quick, particularly if they are a really sandy bunch of clams. The Serious Eats link has a note explaining how to do it at the bottom. You might have to change the water out several times if they are really sandy. And salt the water enough to where it tastes like the ocean. We used to do it in just cool tap water.

If you get lucky, you might just have to do it once.

Last edited:
What is the salt to water ratio you use? Do you add cornmeal?
My fridge is 36°F, is that OK? The fridge will be fine.
I didn't measure - I just put salt in till it tasted right.

It does, though not as well or as quick, particularly if they are a really sandy bunch of clams. The Serious Eats link has a note explaining how to do it at the bottom. You might have to change the water out several times if they are really sandy. And salt the water enough to where it tastes like the ocean. We used to do it in just cool tap water.
I'm sure you're right. I was saying that it can be done without a pump or sous vide circulator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom