"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I've never done it but my dad used to use some cornmeal in one of the steps.

Depending on how many people you are having, making your own Hush Puppies is very easy and the results would be much better.

Here's link for you:
Red Lobster's Deep-Fried Catfish With Hush Puppies
Thanks Jan, I was way off the mark with the hush puppies, I was thinking of a batter mix like we use for battered sav's

attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Katie E
I usually use panko crumbs for tilapia or cod. I dry the fish well, dip in flour. Shake off the excess flour, then dip in beaten egg and, finally, in panko.
why panko? a google search showed me that it is a japanese type of breadcrumb. Does something about it make for particularly good fish? is it easy to work with?

aesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Executive Chef
i just made fried Tilapia 2 nights ago.I made a mix of flour and cornmeal then added some granulated garlic,dried thyme leafs,dried parsley and salt and pepper.The egg mix was 2 eggs beaten with a little milk.
Dredged the fillets in the flour then the eggs then back into flour.
Then I fried them with about an 1 inch of canola in my electric fry skillet at 375 once on each side till crisp and golden.The fillets where only about 1/2 inch thick so I wanted the oil hot to quickly brown the crust without over cooking the fish.It was really good.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote