Nice scallops, nothing to do with 'em. Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bandnerd1892

Assistant Cook
Hey everybody! I just went to my local CostCo and found some REALLY nice scallops. I haven't cooked scallops for a while and I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas of what I could cook. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Assuming the scallops are the larger seas scallops, here is what I do.

Get a skillet nice and hot and add some oil and butter. Dry off the scallops and season with salt and pepper. When the pan is hot place the scallops into the pan and sear them, undisturbed, until a nice brown crust forms. Turn them over and repeat.

Remove the scallops to a plate when done and deglaze the pan with some white wine and a squirt of lemon, reduce and add stir in some butter off the heat to finish.

They are the larger scallops. That sounds really good... I may try that. Thanks!

Here are some ideas...
This may be helpful too...
Other information on scallops here also....

I like them grilled...to perfection...not over cooked....Butter and lemon only to allow the sweet taste of the scallop to come through

Enjoy!!

Coquilles St. Jacques
(Scallops & Mushrooms in Cream Sauce)
(serves at least 2)
(cook time 15 minutes)

INGREDIENTS
3 Tbs unsalted butter
2 pints sea scallops
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbs finely chopped shallots
2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
12 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup frozen peas (my take)
1/3-1/2 cup white wine, your choice ( I use chenin blanc)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup finely chopped fresh, italian parsley
pasta of choice (my take- I use mueller's medium egg noodles)

Briefly brown scallops in butter, salt & pepper to taste on all sides. ( about 3 minutes) Remove from pan.
Add shallots to that pan. (about 3 minutes) Cook on medium low to soften.
Then add mushroom and tomatoes. Cook just until tender. ( about 4 minutes)
Add peas, cooked scallops and wine, keeping heat on medium. (about 3 minutes)
Cook down wine just alittle and add cream, heat on medium- high, stirring to blend and heat. (about 3 minutes)
Stir in parsley.

Serve over cooked noodles, pasta or saffron rice (my take)

Uncle Bob above pointed out just a few of the long recent threads we've had re: scallops. I'm sure if you do a forum search you'll find enough ideas to keep you in scallops for a couple of years. :LOL:

That said, my favorite way to enjoy "dry pack" sea scallops (the only ones I'll buy) is to sear them in a hot lightly extra-virgin-olive-oiled cast-iron pan on both sides & then top each one with a dollop of homemade basil pesto or a dollop of Thai Sweet-Chili Sauce. Served with warm crusty bread & a nice mixed salad of baby greens.

Wow! That all sounds AMAZING! Thanks guys! Once I get some of these recipes tried out I'll post my results. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom