"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 AM   #1

North Cottage Country Exigencies with Fish

Catching an unexpected boatload of trout or walleye, and lacking the means to do them justice, here's a novel method...

Fillet your catch, removing the bones, skins, and, of course, fins...

Dip the fillets in egg batter, mixed with milk and stirred vigorously...leave to "soak" a few minutes...

Grab a full size foil bag of "Salt and Vinager" potato chips...pin hole the bag and expel the air...crush to meal-like consistency with a rolling pin, then batter the fillets thoroughly in this mix...

fry as per normal in (well, with no apologies, I use Lard!) until properly browned, and note how well any white fleshedfish turns out with this expedient to cornflakes, cornmeal, breadcrumbs or flour turns out!

High end "chips" work out better than the "cheapies", in my own opinion, but I'm "picky" about these things, and maybe you guys are not....for what that'sworth...

Old 10-13-2004, 07:50 AM   #2
Head Chef

Re: North Cottage Country Exigencies with Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
Catching an unexpected boatload of trout or walleye, and lacking the means to do them justice, here's a novel method...
Well, I'm jealous here!!! I can't remember the last time I went fishing!!! Dadgummit, but city life has some severe drawbacks!

Lifter, I've never thought about potato chip crumbs. That's a really interesting idea!

Old 10-14-2004, 12:22 AM   #3

HMMMM!

Try it, you WILL like it!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Lifter, :?: you just gave me my ' word for the day'.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
That'd be right!

Any chance to plunge the (Trout) fishing knife into all of us suffering Summer

We have to wait another few months for them.

My auto-fishers are all broken as well! (Kids) We are only coupla hundred yards from our river and the kids are too busy working on cars & such. No time for fishing.

Curse the Cottage Country.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I miss fishing too. I usually get about 2 dozen bluegills and maybe a couple catfish, not worth scaling for a sammy. :x Fishing is terrible here!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Fishing is terrible here!
When are they on the bite?
Old 01-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Re: North Cottage Country Exigencies with Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
Grab a full size foil bag of "Salt and Vinager" potato chips...pin hole the bag and expel the air...crush to meal-like consistency with a rolling pin, then batter the fillets thoroughly in this mix...
Just wanted you to know, Lifter, that I followed this recommendation a few weeks back and all here were highly pleased with the outcome. Glad to have another tasty reason to serve fish to the carnivores I live with!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Master Chef

Lifter; You know I love fish, and fishing. how could I grow up here and not. HOwever, I have to take exception. I would use your recipe on any fish, and especially on perch, bass, or the sunfish family. But it is truly, and I mean truly sacriligeous to use anything but a light dusting of AP flour, and some salt on wild speckled, rainbow, or brown trout (no larger than 12 inches), you know, the fish with that orange meat that fries up so well in a couple inches of oil in a cast-iron pan, with a sprinkling of salt, and served only with fries, if with anything.

Oh for those past days of culinary rapture, sitting with my Dad, eating a mess of trout freshly caught that day from one of the Lake Superior streams.

They serve wild trout in Heaven. Did you know that. Otherwise, how could it be Heaven?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Year 'round, Brooksy but the variety of fish is lacking. If I want to do any serious fishing I'll head up to a little place called Tubb's Lake in Michigan. The fishing is MUCH better there!

Tags
None