"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I read an article yesterday that the arms on an octopus have separate brains from their body. So if you choose to eat one of them raw, they can still be alive and their suction cups would possibly still work. Who knew? Nine brains? I know a lot of people who could use an extra brain or two.
I have read about and watched a show concerning this very recently. But they did not go as far as to say the tentacles had their own individual brains, but that they (tentacles) were extremely sensitive.
I will need to do more research Addie to be certain. But I am certain the octopus has one brain and is quite intelligent.

The diver in this show had been tangled up with a giant octopus and was dangerously close to being drowned. He was able to free himself by pinching the tentacles. Each time he pinched a tentacle, the octopus released that arm grip. In no time the diver was able to free himself using this pinching method.

So are we to braise the whole cleaned octopus until tender, before grilling it? How long do you braise/simmer/boil the creature before it is ready to be used in other dishes and for salads?

Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

RB, the article was about eating raw baby octopus. It stated that each tentacle has a brain and does not die right away. It further stated that if you put a raw piece of the tentacle in your mouth and bite down it still alive and will attach one of it suction cups to your cheeks, tongue or even your esophagus when you swallow. In Japan where raw octopus is very popular, the chef will remove the suction cups when serving it raw. It also stated that because the tentacle has a brain of it own, you will often see it still moving on the plate when served raw. That was enough for me to make sure I never taste it when raw.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...e-smart-moves/

Old 01-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
RB, the article was about eating raw baby octopus. It stated that each tentacle has a brain and does not die right away. It further stated that if you put a raw piece of the tentacle in your mouth and bite down it still alive and will attach one of it suction cups to your cheeks, tongue or even your esophagus when you swallow. In Japan where raw octopus is very popular, the chef will remove the suction cups when serving it raw. It also stated that because the tentacle has a brain of it own, you will often see it still moving on the plate when served raw. That was enough for me to make sure I never taste it when raw.
Can you post the link to the article here or at least tell us what news source/blog it was located? Link would be better, AFAIC.

I want to thank you for sending me down another 'rabbit hole' of investigation.

I did find several quasi-scientific articles about "brains" in octopuses but that word ''brain" was in quotation marks making for some suspicion about a "brain" actually being in the tentacles. It's the neurons connected TO the brain in the skull that bring that mis-conception about.

But I agree with you----- I don't think raw octopus will ever pass between MY lips! I just got over my 'fear' of raw oysters, thanks to a SIL who could exist on them!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Can you post the link to the article here or at least tell us what news source/blog it was located? Link would be better, AFAIC.
I did in response to RB post. See above.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
I did in response to RB post. See above.
Oops! Egg on my face! Thank you.

But that article also states it's the neurons, not a brain.
Just like frog legs will twitch in the frying pan.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
But I agree with you----- I don't think raw octopus will ever pass between MY lips! I just got over my 'fear' of raw oysters, thanks to a SIL who could exist on them!
Raw oysters took some time for me to accept. Now they are one of my favorite all time foods.
Like you're SIL, I could eat raw fresh oysters every day.

I also would imagine raw octopus in serveche being very good.
I know i love octopus grilled and in red sauce, but would most definitely try it raw.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Raw oysters took some time for me to accept. Now they are one of my favorite all time foods.
Like you're SIL, I could eat raw fresh oysters every day.

I also would imagine raw octopus in serveche being very good.
I know i love octopus grilled and in red sauce, but would most definitely try it raw.
Pulpo (octopus) ceviche is very popular in the Yucatan.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
They are some of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen in the ocean. Masters of disguise, extremely intelligent, at times hard to find, and can turn any color. I did catch a show where a guy was learning how to dive for them in the traditional Hawaiian way, which entailed biting the poor things really hard behind the eyes. They immediately turned from vibrant color to dead gray.

That said, when cooked properly, they are delicious. A favorite restaurant in Mexico cooks a mixed seafood medley, including pulpo, all rolled into a fish fillet and baked with butter, cream and spices, in tinfoil. It is to die for.
Oh yes, they're interesting. I just meant they were ugly brutes when on the fishmonger's slab. I've only had it once since we left Spain and it was basically a curiosity in the shop.

I tried monk fish for the first time 30 years ago before it became fashionable and I saw the whole fish in the fishmonger's shop window. Now there is ugly! Fishmonger had bought it on a whim to put on display as a curiosity and it was dirt cheap. Try buying it now, though! The price has gone through the roof!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:

I want to thank you for sending me down another 'rabbit hole' of investigation.

I did find several quasi-scientific articles about "brains" in octopuses but that word ''brain" was in quotation marks making for some suspicion about a "brain" actually being in the tentacles. It's the neurons connected TO the brain in the skull that bring that mis-conception about.

Ohhh oysters. Only had them once and loved them but I was very ill afterwards. It seems I'm allergic to them.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Ohhh oysters. Only had them once and loved them but I was very ill afterwards. It seems I'm allergic to them.
You may have gotten a bad one. I've eaten "raws" for decades, and got a bad one in New Orleans, some nasty food poisoning but thankfully it only lasted a brief time.

Tags
recipe

Octopus Kathleen and I went to the greek grocer yesterday. This place is a large wholesaler and has a small retail operation as well. While we were there she decided we should pick up an octopus. I was a bit hesitant because I know our freezer is fairly full but she was able to convince me with the words "You have never grilled an octopus". Who am I to stand in the way of her happiness. :smile: In another thread about octopus I suggested this [URL="http://fishcooking.about.com/od/squidoctopusrecipes/ss/howto_prep_octo.htm"]article[/URL] and since I suggested it I felt the need to try it this time. The octopus after rinsing: [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/30377-albums851-picture4732.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/30377-albums851-picture4733.jpg[/IMG] While it is blanching: [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/30377-albums851-picture4734.jpg[/IMG] In the dutch oven to braise. I used greek oragano from our herb garden and some lemon juice along with the juice from the octopus. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/30377-albums851-picture4735.jpg[/IMG] Done braising: [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/30377-albums851-picture4736.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/30377-albums851-picture4737.jpg[/IMG] I won't be able to grill it today with the rain. I will serve some of it cold on the side with the salad for dinner tonight though. 5 stars 1 reviews