"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, you tried, Skillet. My MIL used to make oyster stew that DH raved about. I never understood what the fuss was about, I would take a teaspoon of it and even then it was an effort to choke it down.

I love smoked oysters, and raw oysters in places like New Orleans are a true gem. Otherwise, I prefer fried clam strips.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Well, you tried, Skillet. My MIL used to make oyster stew that DH raved about. I never understood what the fuss was about, I would take a teaspoon of it and even then it was an effort to choke it down.

I love smoked oysters, and raw oysters in places like New Orleans are a true gem. Otherwise, I prefer fried clam strips.
Seafood needs to always be the star of the dish. Their flavor can be overcome very easily. I love oyster stew. Anytime I see it on a menu, I order, even if only the cup size.

Oysters and other shellfish should be scrubbed before opening. They like to bury themselves in mud. Then the bottom is combed through the mud to harvest them. So what you get are very dirty shellfish. If you feel that you need to clean the inside, a lot of New Englanders will soak them for 24 hours in heavily salted water and put either cornmeal or oatmeal in the water. They will cleanse the inside themselves. Shellfish should NEVER be soaked in fresh water. They will drown. Fresh water is not their natural habitat.

Once you open them, you should do it over a bowl to catch the liquor that spills out. All of the liquor should be strained through a cheesecloth to catch any sand that may still be inside the animal's shell.

I have lived and eaten shellfish all of my life. I have dug for them, shucked them and cleaned them. I can't think of a food I love more than shellfish.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
Executive Chef

As many here know, I love making gumbo! (I've been at it for nearly 40 years), but like you, I'm not fond of oysters in my gumbo. I do, however, really enjoy cooking and eating oyster stew! Stewed or deep fried are my two favorite ways for preparing those slimy critters!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
Head Chef

How about a recipe for oyster stew, everyone?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #15
Senior Cook

A decade from now might be a little late to find an oyster on the planet. LOL
Anyway assuming you can find some then I suggest only using really small ones whole. Strain them to remove any shell. Gently use a PT to wipe away any shell bits stuck to them.
As suggested add the fine strained liquor. (Speaking of which I'd add only one capful of Pernod to the gumbo).
Assuming the gumbo will be served nice and hot just add 'X' number of uncooked oysters into each bowl a minute before serving. They will cook before they are eaten if they are small ones.
I make something with white firm fleshed fish and steamed clams/prawns etc once in a while. I always add a few T's of clam juice and a little Pernod. Gives it a 'Mediterranean' touch.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
How about a recipe for oyster stew, everyone?
Here's one I posted a few years back:
Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew

Tags
other