Oysters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen....please share the scalloped oyster recipe...I have a niece and nephew that lived...went to school in Charleston...they always raved about the food!

For me it's not the taste or fear of illness that makes me hate raw oysters - it's the texture. The same reason I also can't stand undercooked eggs.

I do LOVE raw clams - but raw clams are firmer, & their liquor is juicy, not slimey.

I just can't stand the texture of raw oysters. Do absolutely LOVE them cooked though.

ironchef said:
There's nothing (well, almost nothing) better than a freshly shucked Kumamoto Oyster. I once ate 58 of them at on oyster bar in downtown Portland.

Those are my favorites!! I like west coast oysters.

58 of those babies would be $$$$ out here.

Galleywench said:
My Husband found this recipe and it is great!
1 can smoked oysters smashed
1 pk cream cheese
Roll out cream cheese between plastic wrap and make a rectangle as best as possible. Take off top layer and spread smashed oysters. Roll up like a jelly roll and serve with your favorite crackers mmmmmmm. Nothing easier :)

Well isn't it a small world!
My wife does exactly that with smoked oysters. Delicious!

Sprinkle with soy sauce and some white (or black) sesame seeds.

I'm looking forward to the 26th December, when I might just indulge myself in 10 dozen tiny fresh oysters from the Margarita mangroves, sprinkled with a squeeze of lime juice and a spot of hot sauce!

Scalloped oysters.
This will be for 2pts. of oysters.
I use either Ritz crackers (it is about a sleeve, crushed) or leftover croissant crumbed--about 1C-- (that was NOT a part of the Charleston receipt!!). The original recipe uses evaporated milk, which I have also used (even evaporated skim milk). You may have to adjust the crumbs. I eyeball it pretty much.
YOu need a shallow dish that will hold the oysters in only 2 layers. A 8X8 would be fine.
Butter a baking dish. Sprinkle lightly with crumbs of your choice.
Drain oysters. Save liquor.
Put a layer of oysters in the pan. Salt and pepper. Cover with 1/2 of remaining crumbs. Dot (liberally) with butter. Add another layer of oysters, salt and pepper, crumbs and butter.
Mix the saved liquor with 1/2-3/4C of cream, hallf and half or evaporated milk. pour over the oysters and probe with a spoon so the liquid gets to the bottom and surrounds the oysters.
Bake @ 350* for 30-45 minutes until brown and bubbly.

Thanks Gretchen....that sounds "oh so good" and like you said very close to the "Johnny Reb" recipe. I've never tried the Ritz cracker just the saltines..Will try then next time I make the dish....

Again thanks for replying!!

Uncle Bob

My husband went down to Mississippi the last of October, and brought back a bunch of shrimp and oysters. A friend of a friend contracts a boatload, then hauls them up north (northern Mi) in a refrigerated truck.
DH helped get them all processed, and when he brought them home, they were already frozen in containers.
They're great for fried oysters and such, but what I wouldn't give for a dozen fresh ones on the the half-shell!

Uncle Bob said:
We have a saying here in Mississippi/Louisana "only real Mississippians chew their raw oysters.........:LOL:

:ohmy: I always wondered where I was from = now I know!!!!!! Chewing is how I found all those itty bitty pearls anyway! :)

Nothing beats raw oysters.

But they are nice done "kilpatrick". style. Cook some bacon until almost crisp, then chop it fairly finely. Spinkle each oyster, in its shell, with a little worcestershire sauce and pepper, the sprinkle over some chopped bacon and grill for 2-3 minutes, until the oysters are hot.

Very tasty

I dug this one out a few days back....

Angels On Horseback:

12 Oysters
12 thin slices bacon
Salt/pepper/cayenne
flour/milk/ a touch of baking powder

Wrap each oyster with a slice of bacon...skewer 4 oysters on a 6 or 8 inch skewers. Leave at least an inch between them
Make a batter of flour/milk/salt/pepper/etc.
Dip in batter and deep fry...
Serve on warm buttered toast..leave them on the skewer.

I always wanted to try that using turkey bacon (since husband doesn't eat pork), but am not sure it would work because turkey bacon doesn't have the same flexible texture.

Guess it would make an interesting experiment though :)

oh baby, do i love oysters.

gimme a plate of blue points, malpeque, and kumamotos, and i'm in heaven.

often, the oysters are served with a cocktail sauce, and another "sauce". really sort of shaved ice mixed with herbs and vinegar, i think.

does anyone know what this is called? i think it had a french name.

Buckytom - the vinegar sauce you mention is called "Mignonette", & is really popular served with raw oysters. There are many different recipes for it using different types of vinegar & herb combinations.

Actually, it would probably dissolve - lol!! Turkey bacon - which is quite good by the way - is made from finely ground/compressed turkey. Sort of like bologna (without the mystery parts - lol!!).

So it's flexible, but without the fat of regular bacon, not as flexible when cooked. Like I said, it might work fine with careful tending. I'll definitely have to try it. I mean, what do I have to lose? Even if it doesn't work I'll just end up with a bunch of oysters & bacon which I can still serve over toast. They just won't look as pretty - lol!!!

:LOL: .....

WoW!! I told you that I had never tried (eaten) turkey bacon...
Maybe there are other products that would work that are not pork based.
Then one might say...why ruin a perfectly good oyster with bacon anyway;)

Back
Top Bottom